Sick Krib - Is there any hope?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kevtacular

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Recently, my female Krib has started exhibiting pop eye. We have moved her to a hospital tank and treated with Metro and Epson salt, but she's not showing signs of improvement.

Is there any hope for her? Should she be euthanized?

It's sad to think about... She's been with me for nearly 20 years. :'(ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423873784.376959.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423873806.916120.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Can someone please provide some guidance? I don't want her to suffer!

Take this with a grain of salt because I personally have only dealt with popeye once and that was due to injury - since it is both eyes you might want to use a more aggressive medication that is geared more toward bacterial infections than metronidazole (as far as I know it treats primarily parasites?) and is more water soluble. Metro is not easily absorbed because it isn't terribly water soluble, either. I'd go with something more like Furan-2 or Kanamycin - probably the furan-2, although Kanamycin is probably easier on their system than the Furan. Furan-2 just treats a wider spectrum of bacteria if I remember correctly.

I would also just check your water parameters just in case.

Thanks for your reply. I've ordered Seachem KanaPlex, which will hopefully be a better treatment for this than Metro. She's hanging in there, so I'm remaining hopeful. Again, thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom