Sick Mollies - Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lmacbeth

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
One of my Mollys died a week ago. He was basically staying on the bottom of the tank first, then he became bent over a bit and his gills seemed to be working overtime...

Now another one is sick :( with the same symptoms....
when this little fella swims (which isn't often) he turns and turns, like a screw twisting - not a great description I know, can't find the right words.

I have 3 other Mollys (2 females, 1 male) and 1 baby, all seem healthy and are eating fine. I feed with Flakes, and every so often some Freeze Dried Daphnia + Bloodworm.
I tried some peas and spinach this morning but they didn't seem too impressed!

I have a 15g tank, Fluval 2 Internal Filter, air pump and a heater set to 26/27°.
I do a 40% water change every week, adding StressZyme to the new water. My last 2 water tests showed - Nitrite 0, Ammonia 0, ph 8.2, kh 10, gh 12.

Any ideas/advice?

What is your nitrate reading, a prolonged nitrate reading could be the problem. Nitate poisoning can cause a fish to spin in the water, and when it rests on the bottom it is lathargic.

Hi Terry,

Thanks for replying.
I asked here a while back whether I should get a Nitrate test kit.
I was recommened that as long as I had tests for Ammonia and Nitrite and that I was doing at least bi-weekly water changes that I wouldn't need one...

I make sure to do weekly water changes of at least 30-40%
Guess I better get that Nitrate test though eh.

Before going out and spending your money on a test kit, go to your local fish shop and they should test it for you. you might not have a nitrate problem, it could be something else.

Hmm... I would still recommend getting one of the test kits, as they are really useful in the case of any emergency. Recently, I noticed some of my loaches had lost some of their color. I tested the water, and realized that I had let ammonia get too high. I did a big water change, and probably just avoided losing the fish!

I prefer being careful, and am usually willing to spend a couple more bucks for peace (piece?) of mind.

I have a master test kit - it just doesn't include the Nitrate test.

Back
Top Bottom