Sick Platy. Fungus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JourReve08

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My pregnant platy has been acting up ever since she gave birth two weeks ago. She dropped about 20 fry (they are all healthy and lovely!), but she is clearly still pregnant. Super fat and dark gravid. Anyway, she has always been peaceful, but started flashing and nipping chunks of fins off of my other fish. I moved her into quarantine a few says ago. Fairly new tank. About two weeks old. Did a fish-in cycle with my betta who has been and still is totally healthy. Water parameters in quarantine are good, except for low nitates the past couple of days. I guess the tank wasn't as cycled as I though. Big oops. Today I noticed she has a large raised white spot on the top of her head. She is staying at the top of the tank except to flash around. She was eating well this morning before I did a large water change (about 40%) but now she isn't eating and there is a red sore near the white spot. She has already lost a lot of weight. I've heard clean water is one of the best ways to treat an illness, but I've also been treating her with melafix and pimafix as well. Any advice?! Not sure what to do next :( I would post a picture but it's too hard to get a shot!!!

I had a very similar experience with a platty, it was hole in the head disease....I didn't medicate but did daily 50% water changes and she recovered really quickly. I added aquarium salt to aid wound healing. Hope this helps, good luck with your little friend :)

So the white stuff on the top of her head has cleared up but she now what is clearly a hole in her head and the surrounding area is very red and sore looking. She is slightly more active than she has been the last few days but is still staying at the top of the tank in a corner and doesn't seem to be eating. I'm doing daily 50% water changes and monitoring the parameters, which all look good. I ran out of pimafix but I'm still treating with melafix and conditioning with prime. Planning on picking up some aquarium salt tomorrow. Is there anything else I can do for her? Any other medications that other people have had luck with in treating this disease?

Also, I've seen articles that hole in the head can be caused by a parasite. Before she gave birth her poo was sometimes white, sometimes clear, but I assumed it was simply due to the pregnancy, but I guess she might have been infected before she gave birth and is only now showing signs. Is there a chance the fry have parasites too?? They all seem healthy, but it worries me that the mother is so sick so soon after dropping fry!!!

Back
Top Bottom