Sick Platy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ellenquacker72

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 20g tank with currently 3 platies and 6 Pygmy cories, 0 amm,0 nitrite, .1ish nitrate, ph 8.3.

Out of the blue the other day my pygmy platy started looking very I'll, he was very thin all of a sudden, not his belly as much, but behind his rib area, and he seemed to be having some difficulty swimming, as though it took effort. Not erratically like a swim bladder issue, but he had to wriggle his whole body to get any kind of motion. And his scales some of them just dont seem to lie right, not like a pinecone, but he looks a bit disheveled i guess. So immediately I put him into a 5g quarantine with some aquarium salt and raised the temp to 76 (the 20g it's only about 71ish) and a bit of mela and Pima fix. He's been in there a couple days, but he never really swims just lies on the bottom and wriggles around a bit, so he isnt eating. Today it seems like his body is stuck in a slight C shape looking at him from above. I don't think his symptoms match Tb, but I don't know how he would have parasites, hes never had any issues like this before, and i got him full grown June 2011. Any idea what he could have?

His scales are starting to really look bad and he's getting more emaciated. Does anyone have any ideas? He's just lying on the gravel gasping.

His scales are starting to really look bad and he's getting more emaciated. Does anyone have any ideas? He's just lying on the gravel gasping.

Pretty stuck here on this. I was just wondering if you were dosing pimafix before the platy got sick? I've had troubles with pimafix where I don't know, almost like the fish can't cope with it, even at normal or half dose rates.

No, there aren't any meds in the main tank. He got beat up once a while ago and some of his fins were a bit torn and I used some pimafix then and he was fine with it. Its like he can't move because his spine is stuck in a 'C'

All I can think of is to try some medicated fish food for internal parasites / worms. Are there any other signs or is poo normal? Is it eating at all? He or she?

He hasn't eaten or pooped since the first day I qt him :( I know he's going to die, I just would really like to know what to do if this happens again... I have no idea what's wrong with him... But his poo was normal a couple days before he got this way.

I'm really sorry. Do your other fish look ok? I didn't think it was fish TB due to the speed. The only other option I could find was an internal bacterial infection. Pima I only find useful at very early infection stages, like when the fish is off. Mela I've read can be hit and miss depending on bacteria type. That may just be me though. Also I would have tried them and salt as well, it seems like they are not working - do you any other medicines that might suit? Anything for internal parasites?

I really didn't want to diagnose him with anything stronger than mela and pima if I had no idea what was wrong, so no :( And the other fish seem fine so far...

Any updates? I believe I have a similar situation going on in my aquarium as well.

He died a day or two after the last post unfortunately :( it wasnt tb thankfully since none of my other fish have shown any weird symptoms since. It might have been something age related since he was nearly 4 years old and he was a Pygmy who was bullied a lot. Hope you have better luck!

That's weird my platy started showing the same symptoms but I just started my aquarium like 3 week ago ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391449978.763482.jpg this is what he looks like and I had the exact same platy and he died about a week ago but they don't seem to have anything in common as the minnows and other female platy are swimming fine, I'm so stumped on this. People said it was a fish dealing with the cycle but if it's that then why has it been the same thru 50% water changes??

That's what our platy looks like. Our tank is cycled and the other fish are doing well. Tests are all good (Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10, pH 7.0). I haven't a clue... I don't think this little guy will make it.

Yea I don't think my guy will make it I'm kinda turned away from platys after this will/ might be the 2nd death in under 2weeks, any suggestions on what fish I could get next ?

I like tetras and Cory cats quite a bit - both species are hardy, colourful and interesting. You might want to wait until your take is completely cycled (ammonia 0, nitrite 0) before adding more fish.

Yea I don't think my guy will make it I'm kinda turned away from platys after this will/ might be the 2nd death in under 2weeks, any suggestions on what fish I could get next ?

I would guess it's just age that got him. Platys are pretty hardy but they don't have long lifespans.

I would suggest looking at tetras as they are a lot of fun to watch. Corydoras are also great and have lots of personalities. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Hey again ya I've done more research and I think it may be internal parasites. So I took my platy out and put him alone in my old BETTA 1g tank I really don't think he will make it and I hope that the rest of my community doesn't catch it cause if so I have no money to by medication. So I hope that's the last of it if so I'm gonna have to restart in a few months

Back
Top Bottom