Sick Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VintageGamer89

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all-

New to the website and forums here. I've been meaning to join since I got into the hobby about 6 months ago but it took this issue to finally give me the nudge to seek the advice.

I recently began having a string of issues with my tank and nothing seems to be consistent (with the disease or infliction) amongst the different fish. I've done a lot of reading and can't seem to figure out what might be causing the issues with the tank.

My golddust molly began showing symptoms of a swim bladder issue about a week ago. Laying on the bottom of the tank, not eating, swimming in barrel rolls and losing all of his "meat." He then began getting the bent spine issue and died this morning.

My silver molly had been pregnant and still looks as if she is. Her stomach was squared off like she was ready to give birth but now she looks as if she has regressed a few weeks, back to a rounded stomach. When I went in for a closer inspection, I noticed her anal fin was ripped, anus was severely enlarged, and the underside looked as if it had been peeled away or eaten. It also has a pinkish tone like I can see through the skin. I've attached some pictures. I currently have moved her to a 10 gal medical tank. She will eat, but not much, and just hovers in the to corner. Three days ago, she was showing signs of ammonia poisoning, swimming/hovering vertically in the middle of the tank. It was odd, as my readings showed my ammonia levels at 0ppm.

2 of my tiger barbs this morning have ballooned, and their stomachs protruding like they are going to pop. I didn't snap a photo, but they look just like the ones in this link: http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z172/mickey1_028/TigerBarb1.jpg
It is still very colourful, active, and eats well.

My blackskirt tetras have lost most of their colouring, and are looking extremely pale, almost a greyish white. I've read here and elsewhere that it could be the lighting, but who knows. There is no change to their eating habits.

My tank info:

75gal

Ammonia: 0
Nitrates: 5
Nitrites: 0
pH: 7.2
Temp: fluxes between 75-80F depending upon the amount of sunlight that comes through the windows. My heaters aren't very consistent with a constant temp, although it always stays in that range.

10-25% water changes every 2-3 weeks.

50% water change after first Molly showed signs of swim bladder.

50% water change after second Molly showed signs of ammonia poisoning.

Recently altered: I added in 10 new plants (amazon swords, baby tears, etc) about 3 weeks ago to begin the switch from a plastic to live plant tank. I added a sand substrate beneath my gravel (without fish present) about a month ago.

I do add water conditioner and salt during the water changes, and let the water settle for a while before I add it.

I feed thrice daily (small doses) and its a mix between colour flakes, frozen brine, freeze dried bloodworms, and twice a week they get some cooked peas.

Fish:
2 Dalmatian Mollies (female)
1 Creamsicle Molly (female)
2 Silver Mollies (1 male 1 female, female being ill as described)
2 Golddust Mollies (1 male, deceased, 1 female)
5 Molly fry/juveniles (2 months, roughly .25 inches each)
2 Blackskirt Tetras
3 Tigerbarbs (unk.)
1 Plecostomus
3 Fancytail Guppies (female)
1 Gold Angelfish (unk.)
1 African Dwarf Frog (2in, unk.)

Thank you all for any opinions or thoughts. Sorry for the poor photos, don't have a great camera.

Attachments

• image-2059521083.jpg
    image-2059521083.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 65
  • image-302747524.jpg
    image-302747524.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 73
  • image-4101021008.jpg
    image-4101021008.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 67
  • image-2415480213.jpg
    image-2415480213.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 72
Alright. Up your water changes to weekly. Don't change any filter media unless it is falling apart. Since there are signs of disease in your tank, do 50% water changes each time. As for what is wrong with your fish, I will have to do some research after my classes.

Well, i suppose you're fish are inflating/sbd because of the freeze dried bloodworms as they tend to inflate when in contact with water for a certain time. Did you put them in water for at least 5minutes before feeding them?

Well, i suppose you're fish are inflating/sbd because of the freeze dried bloodworms as they tend to inflate when in contact with water for a certain time. Did you put them in water for at least 5minutes before feeding them?

Yes, I do presoak the worms as well as push some of the food down into the water to make sure the little fish eat too.

Also, fish lose color when are stressed usually. Try making sure they eat the bloodworms or some other well packed and high color enhancing pellets/flakes such as nls. Also, when feeding flakes, i suggest pre-soaking.

I have added some better photos of my Silver Molly to hopefully help diagnose that issue.

It appears as if the scales, and then skin, have shed off in cotton-like balls, still partially attached. I don't think she was attacked by any of the other fish, but I could be wrong.

Thanks all again.

Attachments

• image-3965876261.jpg
    image-3965876261.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 64
  • image-3350688494.jpg
    image-3350688494.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 64
Final reply:

Sadly, the silver molly was dead when I woke up this morning. I snapped a few photos of her and attached them. Her underside was almost completely gone and turned black on the top and sides. Thanks all for the help. If the other issues in the tank don't get resolved, I will start a new thread on the particulars.

I'm starting to think that the gold molly simply died from being stressed and the water quality could have deteriorated in between my water changes.

The silver, I speculate, died from complications with her pregnancy rather than a disease. I only suggest that because when I picked her up after the first two photos to get dispose of it (the smell was unbearable) her back half collapsed/ripped and all the fry came out. As I always say, that's just IMO and I could be wrong.

Have a good day!

Attachments

• image-218863164.jpg
    image-218863164.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 62
  • image-3027168572.jpg
    image-3027168572.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 81
  • image-1750821374.jpg
    image-1750821374.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 236
Back