sick torch coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biss444

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi everyone. searched the web to try to find answers to my problem,and found this sight, hope you can help.water parameters are no amonia no nitrates, ph, 8.6, temp 80 degrees,calcium is 550mg/lt, dont have a iodine test, ,200 gallon tank, home made led light, have 76 3 watt lights, half white and half blue, i have more leds ordered, am going to add ten more bulbs, only these are 9 watts each, have 55 gallon sump in cellar, i have numerous other crals sps, zoas pollups and have about 15 reef safe fish, snails, have a anemone that recently split into two, they seem to be growing fast , feed them every other day, everything is looking good except for my torch, one side has completely retracted into its skeleton, the other side is not as long as it use to be, have it at the bottem, moved it near the top, no change.medium water movement.not sure what to do,:facepalm:

Welcome to AA!
How long have you had the torch coral? Was it doing ok at first? Is it possible that it doesn't like the flow where you have it placed? If it's getting a lot of direct flow that will make it unhappy. Just a thought. :)

on my torch the side that looks dead there is a small gum drop looking bump on it with a hole in it where a fern like hand is popping up then going back in more active at night, looks like a feeding hand, don.t think that it is part of the torch, the other side where it branches off is still alive and don.t see anything like that on that side.

Have a pic? Sounds like it could be some sort of pest anemone? Maybe aptaisa?

its definetly a barnicle, looked it up and saw a picture of it , its exactly the same as what i got with that little feeder hand coming out.

I did read on another thread that barnacles are not good on corals. I think they had one on a frogspawn frag and removed it. Worth a try??

i took it off if the coral is suffering weather its the barnacle or not, nothing to loose, didnt damage coral, but yhink that side is dead anyway,it was right in the middle of two heads when i took it off i was surprised how it was grown into the coral, with a root,

Give it time and keep your water params in check and it should heal up. I just did this with my torch and it is recovering nicely.

Glad things are working out a bit better. Each coral will have a sweet spot. Just got to find it. :)

Back
Top Bottom