Sick Variatus Platy Female

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jsarita68

Aquarium Advice Regular
My Platy Variatus female is looking emaciated especially on the right side of her body and her right pelvic fin is clamped. She is swimming around fine and is eating and alert. I noticed about the end of September she looked kinda thin but also observed tiny fry in the QT tank she was in and assumed she looked thin because she had just given birth. At this time she was in a 10 gallon QT tank since her purchase on 9/6/15 with two other platy females. All tank parameters were good - PH 8, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0 and Nitrate between 10 - 20. About a week ago I put her in my 13 gallon Display tank as I plan on slowly introducing all my fish into the display tank. All water tests were fine PH 8, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0 and Nitrate 0 - 5. Today I noticed two tiny fry in the tank with her and she looks skinnier and I noticed the clamped fin. I have been feeding all my fish a varied diet of API Tropical Fish food, Aqueon Tropical Flakes, TetraMin Plus Tropical Flakes and bloodworms. I alternate the food and have them take one day off a week. I feed them once a day, small amount. I do a 20% water change in both tanks once a week. Specific info about tanks are at the end of this post. Any help would be appreciated.

Display Tank Info: 10/21/15
Tank has been set up since 4/25
13 gallon widescreen
Aquaclear 20 filter no carbon
Sand and gravel substrate
One piece of driftwood purchased from LFS It came out of their tank.
Plants- Dwarf sag., anubias, waterlettuce and water sprite
2 Flourish Tabs
Heater Temp 79
1 Nerite Snail
1 Variatus Platy
2 Variatus Platy fry
8 PH, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 0 - 5 Nitrates

QT Tank Info: 10/21/15
Set up since 7/12/15
Cycled since 9/5/15
10 Gallon
Heater Temp 79
API SuperClean 10 filter with sponge
Anubias, Flame moss
lava rock and plastic plant
Net breeder box
One fry
2 Platy
Haven’t tested water since 9/9 but it was PH 8, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, and Nitrate 10 - 20

Could you put the fish into a glass jar and take a picture with ur phone or take a short video, it would really help.

Pics

Hopefully these pictures will load.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 62
  • FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 63
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 70
looks like he/she has quite a few problems going on. I would just cull it. The top looks like you have some wound or columnaris going on, the stomach looks riddled with worms or protozoans, and looks like is loosing color from some kind of internal problems, you dont want this stuff spreading to your other fish.
I would say Internal nematodes/worms usually fatal once they reach this stage they usually succomb soon.
Sorry. I could use a few more pics from all angles or a video if you genuinely want to try to save it.......
Emincipated flat stomach in livebearers is usually a sign of worms, usually callamunus, and its very hard to stop, and can spread easily. ANy other fish like this?

Right now the sick fish is in the Display Tank with the two tiny baby fry and a nerite snail. Should I move the snail and the babies to the Quarantine Tank with the other two platy and one fry? The other fish look great. Have the worms transferred to the babies in utero? I am afraid to try to catch them because they are so tiny.

heck now that i see a video she don't look that bad. Maybe it was the lighting. Can you observe any tan or white body lesions?
Does its stomach look more normal now?
I thought you maybe had some serious stuff going on now, but now im thinking its just the fish's coloration and the lighting and maybe a little lack of color from the stress of dropping fry and being chased by males.

As long as you don't notice anything like these pictures i would not worry, maybe it was just the babies
I could not find any pictures of fish with worms (imagine my google search and all the pictures of bait fish lol)
But you get the picture, flat bellied, clamping, bloating, sitting on bottom and visible worms like a red paintbrush from the vent are symptoms of callamunus worms.
Oh and FYI these pictures are from top to bottom Flexibacterium Columnare and Tetrahyemena aka Neon tetra disease (but not just affect tetras lol)

Attachments

• th (2).jpg
    th (2).jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 59
  • th.jpg
    th.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 70
I know its so hard to really observe fish with just pics and even video. On the right side she is concave especially between the gill and the anal fin. There seems to be a whitish area that you can see best in the first pic. That is also where the fin is clamped. It seems more internal than an external thing. Its like that side of her body has been sucked in. I will keep observing to see if she poops. What should I do in the mean time with the other inhabitants in the Display tank? I ordered some Levamisole just in case it is callamunas. There aren't any males in my tanks and she was the most aggressive when in the Quarantine Tank. That's one reason I put her in the Display Tank first to give one of my other platy a break from her. Your advice is greatly appriciated :(

Back
Top Bottom