Sickness or fish fighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonatheber

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a fairly new (about two weeks) tank with water that has no ammonia, nitrate, etc. I had a few fish die right after I stocked it, so I watched fairly closely and saw a guppy acting very aggressive (biting at the side of one of the fish). I disposed of that guppy, and added 10 new fish - some guppies, two Mickey Mouse plattys and some neon tetras. Overnight, all the tetras were gone, but the guppies were fine. I suspect the tetras died because they were newly arrived that day at the LFS, and moving them twice in a day probably stressed them out. Two days later, I noticed have a few fish that have an odd appearance to their tails or fins. Two new plattys seem to have chunks missing - 1 from its tail, and another from its top fin, and one of the three painted glass tetras I had since the beginning has some white stuff on its fins and tails. It has also basically been hanging out in one of the corners for most of the day. I have see NO signs of any fish chasing after any other fish. The biggest other fish I have are three Dalmation Mollys, and they basically seem mostly interested in picking at the gravel to eat. The other two painted tetras seem perfectly fine - no white stuff, and they are swimming all over

Do I have another fish picking on the others? Or is the white stuff on the painted glass tetra a sign I have some sort of disease. I posted pictures (including two of the tetra) on this listing.

Attachments

• IMG_2814.jpg
    IMG_2814.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2817.jpg
    IMG_2817.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2811.jpg
    IMG_2811.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2812.jpg
    IMG_2812.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 25
Sounds like fin rot - possible from either lfs / new tank. Here tetras really need an established, cycled tank.

Back
Top Bottom