Silicon poisoning?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joel.edwards

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I just have a general concern regarding my tank. i inherited a tank from my grandpa and it is covered in silicon as the sealant on the inside. It is a very old tank so i would assume the silicon is old and probably full of chemicals.

Will this silicon slowly poison my fish and eventually kill them?

Any help would be great
Thanks

well personaly i wouldnt risk it . its only 7 dollars here for ge 1 silicone . take out old with a sharp instrument and replace with new

When you say covered on the inside, do you mean just the joints between the panes of glass or all over the glass ? If it holds water and the silicone is not discoloured badly, it should be ok. Test fill it first, let it sit somewhere for a week at least to ensure it doesn't leak.

I bought a tank at least 20 years old that had been used to raise goldfish. Aside from the silicone being dark blue/green from malachite green and meth blue being used to medicate fish, it held water just fine. I resealed it because I didn't like the silicone colour, not because it leaked.

Resealing is doable,but it is a chore to get all the old sealant off. New silicone will not stick to old silicone, so you do have to get ALL the old stuff off. A razor scraper is the best tool, be sure not to cut down in between the glass panes.. you don't want to damage the seal holding the panes of glass together. Only remove what's on the inner surfaces of the tank, clean the glass well, use masking tape to get nice even lines before you put on new silicone. Practice on a box first, to get your technique for applying the new sealant sorted out.

It's not rocket science but like anything else, practice helps.

edit:.. cured silicone is inert, so it can't poison fish. But if the tank had something else in it, or was stored where it might have been exposed to toxins, such as pest or herbicides, then it needs very thorough cleaning. But the silicone itself, once cured, can't hurt fish.

well if its the original silicone it would be find if its added silicone it could be the wrong kind and have additives that could be hazardous. If its original just make sure you check for any leaks

Yeah I'm not to sure if it's the original. My grandpa made it when my mother was a young girl so it's about 40 years old an has a really nice wood frame so I would like to keep it going but I wouldn't know whether it has been resealed or it's the original silicon but there is a lot of it.

I might just try and cut it all out.
Thanks for your advice everyone.

I'm guessing if his Grandad had it, it's original sealant, but that's a good point. Original silicone is harmless, and ok if it does not leak. But if it appears the tank has been resealed at some point, there is always some small chance the wrong sealant was used. Many household silicone based caulks have fungicide added to them, for use in kitchens or bathrooms, and the added chemicals can kill fish as they leach out into water.

If it's solid coloured caulk, replace it, it's either got fungicide or it's acrylic based, also no good for tanks.

If a tank has been resealed it should not be hard to tell, it won't look as neat as a professional job, and there will probably be scratch marks here and there where the scraping was done.

Usually the fungicidal caulks are coloured. White is most common, but there's almond & brown too.

Black, as you see in some modern tanks, is also available but it's usually labeled as exterior only in a hardware type store. Black for tanks usually has to be purchased from an aquarium supply source.. I've never seen it anywhere else so far.

But there may be a clear version of silicone caulk with fungicide in it around too. I have not ever checked to see if the ones with fungicide come in clear, now I think of it.. I only buy them in white, to match the tub.

Edit. You say it was inherited. I hesitate to ask If your grandad is still with you ? If he is, can you ask what he used as a sealant, and maybe when he built it ? If not, it may be best to reseal, simply because there isn't any way to know for sure what was used.

Silicone sealant only hit the market in the 60's, and it was very, VERY expensive when it first came out, but if he was a handy guy, he could have used it. I recall getting my first all glass tank in the early 70's, before that, they were made with metal edges. There are also tanks built of plywood, with a glass viewing panel in front. The plywood is sealed with epoxy or marine paint and then silicone.

As I said, earlier commercial tanks were made using chromed metal 'L' channel & relatively thin glass, compared to a modern all glass tank. The glass was glued into the channel with a black adhesive that I think was asphalt based. Then silicone was used only to seal the inner joints, to prevent leaking and prevent contact with the metal and glue, not to stick glass panels together. That only started after the price came down. If they are intact, those metal channel tanks are fine to use, and can be resealed as well, if need be.

Be nice if you could post a pic of the tank.

Black silicon that is aquarium safe is available in hardware stores. Any pure (100%) silicon without fungicides is safe to use. Give it a good 48 hours to dry. Once dry it is inert and will not leach any toxins into the water, even if it begins to deteriorate. Only those with a fungicide added leach into the water.

Wish it was around in Canadian hardware stores.. I've never, ever seen it and I live just outside Toronto, the biggest city we have, and I live in the 6th largest city, so most anything we can get I can get somewhere around here. But black silicone that's tank safe I have to buy from an aquarium supply source. Clear I can get lots of places.. but not black.

One advantage to the larger population base in the US, is more folks to buy stuff so you get way more goodies than we do :).

Can't speak for Canada, as I don't shop up there, but around here the GE types are almost always available in black, brown, almond, white and clear.

If your going to replace the silicone make sure you clean it all off because new silicone doesn't stick very well to old. Also make sure you get GE #1 it has no additives

Back
Top Bottom