silk plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyric112209

Aquarium Advice Activist
So just recently while doing a water change I noticed what looks like tiny moldy spots on the one silk plant I have in my 10 gallon aquarium...is this normal? I did rinse it off and tried rubbing it off...should I replace it with something else?

Are the spots brown or brownish? If so, it's likely diatoms. I get these on my silk plants too. The good news is that aside from being unsightly, diatoms are harmless.

I will generally try scrubbing them off, as you have, though over time the silk can become stained. I just replace the plant when this happens. I've also found that darker silk plants show them less.

Best!

RussellC said:
Are the spots brown or brownish? If so, it's likely diatoms. I get these on my silk plants too. The good news is that aside from being unsightly, diatoms are harmless.

I will generally try scrubbing them off, as you have, though over time the silk can become stained. I just replace the plant when this happens. I've also found that darker silk plants show them less.

Best!

Yeah they're brownish...and its a light green colored plant so makes sense that it would show more. Good to know its harmless, thanks

Back
Top Bottom