Silver Driftwood!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Welsh

Aquarium Advice Freak
A few weeks ago, a rock killed my fish. Although I tested the rock with vinegar before hand, it still managed to kill everything.

The rock actually made the water turn white; starving my fish of oxygen and also turned my driftwood a silver colour. I've tried scrubbing at it with a toothbrush but it's really stubborn and won't come off. I was wondering would it be safe to add it back to the fish tank? it has been dried out for about a month and soaked over night in hot water.

What do you guys think??

Pictures? The vinegar test isn't the end all be all test for rock. It really doesn't even make a difference, IMO, most of the time. All it proves is that the rock could potentially raise the pH of your tank (like limestone for instance). Do you have any idea what kind of rock it is, or a picture of it?

The rock is more grey than white. I think it is limestone, I remember doing a test back when I was in primary school and it used to smell like sulphur/rotten eggs? that's what the water at the time of the incident smelled like and also how the wood smells.

Attachments

• img00210201102260141.th.jpg
    img00210201102260141.th.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 128
  • img00189201102221640.jpg
    img00189201102221640.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 134
Not limestone... it would have fizzed/bubbled quite a bit with vinegar on it. I have no idea what kind of rock that is. To be honest, I have no idea what in the world has happened in your tank. At this point, consider me subscribed simply to figure out what happened.

I'll be watching this thread too.

Ages ago I had something that I remember being similar happen. I added some decor that had been in one of my other tanks (big rocks) and later that day, the water turned cloudy white, all the fish had trouble breathing and died shortly after. Was a fully stocked African tank too so I was pretty upset.

Unfortunately, I still don't know what happened. Neither did my LFS.

That sounds exactly like what happened to mine. The white stuff from the rock, covered all the deco, even the live plants; it was weird lol

Back
Top Bottom