simese algae eater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From everything I've read, the SAE is very peaceful. The Chinese Algae Eater - not so much. I have one SAE in a community tank including 3 mollies. The SAE is usually too busy eating algae to even notice the other fish but he does hang out with the giant danios on occasion. I love mine and will probably get a couple more to help keep up with algae.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sorry - just noticed you were asking about fry. I can't say for certain, but I would say it probably depends on the size of the fry and the size of the SAE. their mouths are more of a sucker and I've never seen mine go eat from the surface where the fry are likely to spend most of their time. I would put the SAE past sucking up a tiny baby if it got in its way though. Just not really sure on they one. Sorry.

cool you think i could keep them with fry? and with plecos and cory cats?

Our SAE doesn't mess with any of the 11 Cory cats in the tank. I doubt they would have any issues with plecos.

As far as fry go- I can tell you we have had Cory cats in with our Molly fry and had no issues.

I wouldn't put a pleco in with the fry unless it was a tiny pleco. I've heard plecos will occasionally suck up even small adult fish if they get in their way. They are kinda like a vacuum cleaner and suck up anything in their path if it doesn't move fast enough.

the pleco and corys are with different fish, could i put the sae with the fry?

so i got a sae and he is about 2 inches and doesn't relay eat algae, my black beard algae is getting out of control, help

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428072936.438853.jpgi need some help with my SAE. Is she pregnant? Her and another one of the SAE's in the tank where swimming/dancing very close together a couple of weeks ago and now this one is just resting on plants, rocks, DW really anything and everything in the tank. None of the other fish have any bellies and I don't over feed them. Once a day some flakes and then some small sinking wafers for the cories and loaches at night. Bloodworms once a week as well. I really don't think she is constipated because she would be the only one and she wasn't this big 3 days ago. Any thoughts?

well im not an expert on this fish but, id say it could be 3 things.

bloated from over feeding (but we have crosed that out)

sick, some sicknesses can make your fish like that.(since she is not like a pine cone its not dropsy)

or she could be pregnant. if she is move the male and female to an seperate tank.

an you have hijacked this tread, but i'm more than happy you did. so i am giving permission for you to do so.:)(y)

Thanks live fish guy. Unfortunately I don't have another tank and I wasn't expecting SAE's to breed, if this is really the case. Are there small baskets or plastic cages I can put in this tank to allow them to be contained but separated and in their normal water conditions. Also do they lay eggs?

yes they are egg layers, how new are you to the hobby? egg layers are more difficult than live bearers, i have breed and raise about 300 live bearer and crayfish fry and i'm afraid of breeding angels.
you can have the parents spawn in a net but, you will need a separate tank for raising fry.

what are your water parameters, did something like a water change trigger this spawning activity?

Somewhat new but a very fast learner. I have a friend with over 25 years of experience and this is my first tank 55gal. I don't think anything changed. Although I noticed on one my Red rainbows about 10 Ich spots so I increased the temp to 85 and that eliminated the ich. The temp was raised for about 3 weeks so do you think that could have done it? My WC are weekly and 50% so the perimeters are good and it's heavily planted.

good glad to hear it, i was wondering because with some fish a clean out or a temperature change could trigger spawning, and i think it would be good to know so people could breed this fish in the future

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom