singapore angelfish and coral beauty??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mfed

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
are the singapore angelfish and a coral beauty compatible in a 55 gal reef tank??

Mike

Keeping angels in a reef, if the reef is well matured with lots of undergrowth, the damage from an angel is limited...especially a small one. I raised a tiny infant Imperator in an 18 gallon reef with lots of undergrowth and the polyps on top did get nibbled on, but not so much. They were able to recover or replace themselves. She was more interested in the sponges and algae growing under the rocks. May need to be a bit more attentive to the types of coral housed. Xenia would certainly get picked on and polyps and mushrooms should be in decent sized colonies. Not fragged. SPS coral is of little concern because angels prefer the softies.

I know someone who has this huge reef...300 gallon. Has had it for many years. It's largely a SPS tank with some anemones as well. He has 7 different species of large angels in this tank and has had them for as long as he's had the tank living together peacefully, well fed and without destroying the tank. He's also had boxfish and an orange spot file fish without any ill affects. The orange spot file actually lived well for up to 6 years. It's hard enough to get them to live for a few months...and he ate flake food...wow. Very unusal, but it did have free access to the acropora they require...and he didn't lose anything due to it's predation. He's got himself a very working tank...LOL. It's beautiful!!

A imperator angel no matter how small does not belong in a 18 gallon tank. I agree that you will more than likely have aggression issues if you add two to your tank. I have a flame and coral beauty in my tank without aggression but I have a lot of room for them. Angel general do not bother SPS. They prefer softies.

Singapore Angels are bad for a reef tank! Trust I have experience. Never again.

Brenden...the angel was barely over an inch. She would have died in any other tank. The 18 gallon is a fully established reef that's been going for over 4 years. She did great for the time she had to be in there. She did come out when it was time and was put in a larger reef. She was truely an infant...and she had all the free access to all sorts of coral and sponges and other growth to grow strong. I do believe there is a photo or two of her in my gallery. Feel free to take a look. In fact whenever we get shipped a tiny fish like that it goes in the 18 gallon. It's a safe haven for the time they are that small. We let them grow a couple of inches then put them in larger tanks.

Back
Top Bottom