Sister's first Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CoyoteWildfire said:
Haha, yes, yes, Rose is my girlfriend. She tends to spend the weekends with me. She helps me a lot with the tank maintenance, and she's also helping me tutor my sister with her new tank as well.

In fact, the original idea for getting this tank for my sister was Rose's.

Great idea rose!

Thank you guys! I couldn't help telling Coyote when I saw the deal on Craigslist! =D Admittedly I get almost as much pleasure helping others with their tanks even when nothing in the tank belongs to me. ^^

Thanks! =D Anyway, I don't want to get too off-topic on this thread but any of you can feel free to message me anytime you want. ^^; Thanks for being such encouraging followers in the whole process!

An update:

Checked in on Bildeschoen this afternoon to find the tank empty. As I approached it, he quite quickly swam out from inside the octopus and made a show of his gills for me.

Haha, I guess he hasn't changed!

CoyoteWildfire said:
An update:

Checked in on Bildeschoen this afternoon to find the tank empty. As I approached it, he quite quickly swam out from inside the octopus and made a show of his gills for me.

Haha, I guess he hasn't changed!

Haha. My Allie hides in his log a lot.

Can't blame them, liking still water and whatnot.

Looks like I'll have to leave the parameter testing to my brother this weekend as I'll be gone... Will update when I get the parameters.

Awww. Sweetest thing ever! What a great big bro. I'm looking forward to updates and more pics (hint).

Oh. And us "old folks" don't like it when you young folks call yourselves old. ;)

*laugh* Sorry... but I guess the way I see it, 20+? Old. Even people who are 70 years old seem no older to me than someone who is 20. Maybe that's a poor perception on my behalf, but I like to think of it as regarding people who are older than I am as spritely and still full of youth.

Nevertheless, I will certainly get more pictures up for you guys. :]

As promised! Moooore pictures!

img_1301433_0_e190c822bbad91e2ed3ff32f487a2fa2.jpg

Overall, she's been good about her PWCs. Yesterday was a busy day so she forgot, but after a mild scolding and explanation, she understood why she needed be sure she didn't miss them.

img_1301433_1_8704288e65653f9069bbd60b51dcf7ca.jpg

Here is the tank after a little bit of rearranging of the plants. Bildeschoen for some reason though, generally prefers the fake ugly red one on the right hand side. O-o;

img_1301433_2_7b315656e6458d300d80139e31bc61b3.jpg

Sorry it's blurry, but you can see Bildeschoen flitting about the bubbles. I thought Bettas preferred still water...?

img_1301433_3_54f81032c05e30dbe4295fd8f1ee0939.jpg

My sister got the gravel smoothed out a bit better and though it's pretty low for a planted tank, she used the rocks from her Betta bowl to hold them in place. Pretty smart girl, if you ask me...

Thumbs up for her! (y)
It's looking sweet! And ya, some bettas like bubbles... mine used to love playing in them... then he got annoyed and I ended up taking them out, he was happy again :p But thats sweet that hers likes them :D

Yup! Given that Bettas like still water, I wanted a way to aerate the water and break the surface tension (so he can breathe fresh air at the surface), while still keeping the current to a minimum.

Probably why he likes it in the octopus too.

I read online that as long as you do regular pwc's, you don't need a bubbler for them... assuming you have a decent filter :O
but if he likes it then why not :D

Haha, well... the filter isn't really a HOB, it's more like a hang-inside... and doesn't cause much current at all. And yeah, we'll be doing regular PWCs but once the tank is cycled, it's not as often as I would prefer to keep the water well-oxygenated.

But hey, like you said, if he likes the bubbles why not? =P

What an excellent gift idea for a little sis! You and Rose did very well! (y) I have no doubt she's enjoying her new tank. It looks really nice too! I'm diggin' the octopus! lol

Oh and 5 bucks says your sister will want a 20g before the end of the year! :p

LOL, she probably will... Rose picked out the octopus FYI, so you can blame her good taste! :p

Bad news though folks... Bildeschoen somehow tore his tail fin. It's really bad, almost up to the membrane. It was fine just yesterday...

Back
Top Bottom