Size of tank for betta + friends?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishBag

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm thinking of starting out my first live plant freshwater aquarium, but I'm not sure what size tank to start looking for. My planned community is as follows:

- 1-2 female bettas

- a school of 10 neon tetras

- a kuhli loach (I'm also open to suggestions on other loaches that are cool w/ bettas!)

- a pygmy cory

- some mystery snails, probably 2 but I have to do more research

I was thinking that a 30 gallon tank would be about the right size for everybody, but does that seem too small?

Both pygmy corydoras and loaches need to be in schools of 6. I would also do just 1 or the other not both. 20g-30g should be the size you will want to look at. Long is better than tall but the talls come in kits.

Cool, thanks for your advice!! I wasn’t aware that they like being in a group. Is there any reason to go for 20 over 30, or other than having less weight?

Nope, go for the biggest tank you can afford/fit.
No problem, they are technically schooling fish so the more you have the safer they feel.

Also, be aware, even female bettas can become aggressive and fight one another. Be mindful of this and keep an eye on how they do with each other. Good luck!

tall tanks

Not to high jack this thread, but I have a 40 gallon tank that is more of a cube shape, I guess this is called a tall tank? Are there any fish I should stay away from for this type of tank? I believe in one of my visits to the aquarium stores, they told me to stay away from cichlids since they need the long spaces to swim.

Yeah, most cichlids (you might be able to keep dwarf cichlids), swordtails and larger schooling fish.
You could do livebearers such as mollies, platys or guppies.

Back
Top Bottom