Skimmer advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edison9114

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone have feedback on the Skilter 400 Protein Skimmer & Power Filter made by Danner/Supreme?

It has a skimmer built in on top of a power filter.

Any feedback, please let me know, thanks.

It is not very good. I would stay away from it. If you are looking for a hang on skimmer i would go with the remora by aqua-c.

In fact, I just ordered the remora from Darin at Captivereefs.com. I cant wait til it gets here! The price is as good as any you will find on the net once you count the discout AA members get.

just make sure you get the maxi jet 1200 upgrade.
i do not trust rio's and do not sell this skimmer with the standard rio pump. zThis skimmer is by far the best hang on skimmer on the market. It is also very low maintanence unit. no venturis to clog or airstones to replace! It uses water spray injection to produce bubbles.

I like my aqua c remora, but I was also happy with my bak pak 2R, the bak pak is probably the lowest priced hang on skimmer I would recommend for smaller tanks, but from what I have seen so far the aqua c is worth the extra money ;)

captivereefs said:
just make sure you get the maxi jet 1200 upgrade.
i do not trust rio's and do not sell this skimmer with the standard rio pump. zThis skimmer is by far the best hang on skimmer on the market. It is also very low maintanence unit. no venturis to clog or airstones to replace! It uses water spray injection to produce bubbles.

I agree with the above quote 100% and there isn't anything I can add to it.

what do you think of the internal miniflotor skimmer? I am looking for just the skimmer and not the filter part for a 45G tank?

I am not sure if my system will produce that much protein... its a 45G tall, with about 20 pounds of base rock and will have about 5-7 pounds of LR seeding it. Its going to be a macroalgae tank only but with a single valentini puffer (haven't gotten it yet, will do so around Jan 8th). Filtering it is a Filstar XP3, and if lighting is important its two 65 watt PC's (so 2.8 watts/gal). I need a HOB skimmer as you can tell.

If my tank doesn't produce too much protein should I get the bubbler powered skimmers, or are there any other suggestions?

I used to sell the internal miniflotors for about a week. They are pretty much a glorified visi jet. I would stay away from them. Stick with something reliable and time tested like a Remora or a Bak Pak.

Back
Top Bottom