Skimmer and fluval canister ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishtale

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a huge skimmer 250 gal per
I don't have a canister filter for heavy material
Can anyone advise which one is best to use.
I'm also looking for good wave
I'll need two wave makers
My display is 75 and sump is 30
Thanks

If you have a sump running you don't need a canister filter. :)

I don't have room for a sump so I run a regular old fluval canister.

Mine is a wet skimmer
Water drops from tank gravity into bottom sump divided into three compartments External skimmer with pump inside compartment 1 sucks into external skimmer external skimmer outflow goes into compartment 1 compartment 2 has sand bottom and seaweed with light compartment three has pump which pumps water back up to tank.
I still get heavy materials so water is not crystal clear. My thought was to put a canister on as well carbon most likely for true water clarity

You can also get a reactor for it too. You can run carbon or gfo in them. Very handy, I'm looking into getting one. :)

If you need more mechanical filtration I think, in my opionion, a hob like an aquaclear 110 might do it. Do you have filter socks or a filter pad in your sump setup?

Wavemakerr I love the Hydor and it can have up to 4 power heads. You don't need a canister filter, if you wanna run media I suggets Phosban Reactors it allows the water to flow through the media instead of around it

I want crystal clear water and with just my skimmer I still have heavy material in water. I need something to lift that out
Someone said fluval canister with carbon
I'm looking for ideas and experience on what works best. ??

As for waves I'm looking for a bit of extra Flo to bring up my PH as well as decent system for optimal wave I have two pumps plugged into power control unit set at 20 sec shut off alternately

I use a fluval canister on my sw tank and am running carbon this month and my water is pretty crystal clear. The only thing with canisters is you HAVE to clean them out frequently as nitrates can build up in there.

If you have the money then it's entirely up to you. reactor or canister. :)

I'm all for simple so I choose the canister. But I also have alot of free time on my hands so I can check it and maintain it. The reactors look easy enough but I havent' taken that plunge yet. the canister will also be more expensive than a reactor by alot.

Back
Top Bottom