Skimmer foam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calqless

Aquarium Advice Regular
Everyday I empty my Skimmer Skimmer on my 75 it looks like this. Is it not broken in? I've tried closing and opening the air flow but it's like this everyday. It's a 3 month old setup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1441396467764.jpg
    1441396467764.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 116
It looks okay to me. The skim will get darker as you lower the level of the bubble column. That can be done by closing the input valve a bit if it's a external, if it's a internal you could try raising it an inch. The higher the bubbles have to climb before spilling over, the more concentrated the skim.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
The foam has a tendency to push the lid up and off kilter if I let it sit too long (more THAN 30hrs)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

+1 on slowing inflow.
For the lid I have used sliced pieces of airline hose to allow air to escape scum cup in between lid also(beside drilled MFG holes).
The lid just sounds like not letting air out fast enough,so slowing flow and the venturi? make resolve this issue also.
At 3 months old and with that color skimmate the PS is definitely broken in.
Your are close IMO.

It just needs adjusted some more. Be it from the air flow, adjusting the pump, or even raising it like Greg mentioned. Your 'goal' should be the bubbles reaching halfway up the neck of the skimmer cup. Then when you feed those extra proteins will raise the level and they will collect into the cup as the bubbles 'pop' off the lid of the skimmer's cup.

Mine fills fast also I drilled a 5/8 inch hole on the side of the collection cup down by the bottom , Glued in a 1/2inch piece pvc than I attached piece of siphon hose and ran it to a apple juice jug, it actually works good rather than having to empty daily I do it weekly with my routine cleaning and water changes

Most of us with big skimmers do this. I don't want to empty a cup every day.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I run a large collection cup canister on my MRC skimmer that once filled with gunk will stop the skimmer in its tracks ,...a great thing to have ( imo ) in case there's a skimmer overflow issue that happens for some reason or another ,....also a nice piece of mind if going on vacation

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom