Skimmer not skimming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SWGuppie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK, I have a Seaclone 100 Skimmer right now. When I first put it in, it immediately started skimming! Now today, its just making the little air bubbles on the top and flowing out. So no skimmate is forming anymore. Anyone have a solution?

Are you still getting alot of bubbles in the reaction chamber? Whens the last time you cleaned the venturi and the air intake?

Might just need the PH sponge, PH impeller, ventrui and airintake cleaned.

I had the Seaclone and all I had was trouble with it. It would start to foam and when the cup got full, I would dump and rinse it. It would then take about a week before it started producing the foam again. :evil: I finally gave up and got a different skimmer, which seems to work a lot better. I also know that adding chemicals to the water could directly interfere with producing the foam, especially anything that contains slime.

I had the Seaclone and all I had was trouble with it. It would start to foam and when the cup got full, I would dump and rinse it. It would then take about a week before it started producing the foam again. :evil: I finally gave up and got a different skimmer, which seems to work a lot better. I also know that adding chemicals to the water could directly interfere with producing the foam, especially anything that contains slime.

Skimmers stop skimming for awhile after you've had your hand in the tank, add top-off, or add some additives. They also produce more/less skimmate at different times of day IME. I have a seaclone and it works well for me, although they are tempermental. How long has it been running? there is a break in period it has to go through before it will work at 100%. Also, I found just dumping the collection cup and NOT washing it at all helps otherwise the slime coat has to reform on the tube leading into the collection cup.

i have a seaclone and it is working great now. when you use a dechlorinator that is supposed to protect ur fish gill and other stuff makes ur seaclones collection cup start getting filled with water and bubles. this will fo away with time depending on the dechlorinator usually like a day but sometimes it could end up being a lot more.
when u prepare ur water and put the declorinator make sure to stir really well and to let the water stay in the bucket for like 15 mins this seems to help me. also if the skimmer is making a lot of bubbles go into ur aquarium and the collection cup is filling up with water very fast u should turn it off for like a day.
it also takes a bit of time to get it to work well. you have to adjust it to get the right air intake so that it makes the most little bubbles and not really any big bubbles.
i might not know a whole lot about fish but i do know about the seaclone cuz ive had for like 3 months and have ran into these problems with it.

I don't know what combination I found, but holy cow, my SeaClone is skimming now! It hadn't been doing all that much since I've had it for 1 month. I was always trying to find the right adjustment.

Today, I cleaned out the venuri line and adjusted the flow and less than 5 hours the cup was almost full.

When you empty the cup, be sure to rinse the collection area well, but very lightly rinse the intake portion. If you clean the whole thing, you have to wait till the slime builds up again to allow the foam to rise. I just figured this out and it works great, back to skimming almost immediately.

Wow! Sorry everyone, I didn't realize people were posting stuff for me! Anyways, i'm gonna clean out everything like you said, and its been running for about......2 days now, so I guess maybe its not broken in yet?

First of all, it may take a little while to break in- build up a film on the inside chambers.

Second, make sure the bubbles are reaching the highest they can with the least amount of air opened up.

Third, when cleaning out the cup- don't rinse the film build up on the intake tube, you can rinse out the collection area.

If you do rinse everything out, be sure to expect another break in period. I'm glad I got mine, now. I was doubting the purchase earlier, but patience is the key.

Back
Top Bottom