Skimmer Woes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ColdFish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been fooling around for 2 days now trying to reduce the microbubbles that I have coming from my skimmer. It's a Coralife Super Skimmer 125, and the bubble diffuser that comes with it just isn't doing the job. This is a really large skimmer and I don't have room in the sump to try putting in more baffles or anything. The problem is definetly coming from the skimmer since when it's off I have no microbubbles in the main tank at all. I just got this thing and returning it is an option. Is anybody else using this model that could give me some suggestions?

My other question concerns what to replace it with if I do decide to send it back to liveaquaria. I was thinking of getting this one http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=AC120GM

Does anybody have experience with this one? It looks like you can direct the output from the AquaC anywhere that you want. Is that correct? If so, that would give me more options, like maybe running the output farther away from the return chamber to give the bubbles more time to dissipate. For that matter, does the AquaC even produce a lot of microbubbles? It's more money than I was looking to spend on the skimmer, but at this point I would go for it if it's more trouble free than the super skimmer. Any sugestions much appreciated.

Don

How long have you been running this skimmer? Many don't behave well until they build up a biofilm on the inside. You can also put a sponge in the return pump inlet to reduce the number of microbubbles that make it up to the display.

I have the Coralife Super Skimmer 65, and just got it a few weeks ago. I was having the same problem for a few days, the water was overflowing the diffuser box, and microbubbles were flowing into the tank, and I couldn't stand it.

I took a variety of steps to correct the problem, unfortunately I did them all at once, so I'm not sure if it was the combination of the steps or one in specific that corrected the problem. Here's what I did:

1) On the back of the diffuser box, I put the latch designed for the sump instead of the hang on back latch...for some stupid reason, this allowed me to get the diffuser box stable, level and a few centimeters higher.

2) I took the diffuser box off and completely rinsed the sponges to make sure the problem was not clogged sponges.

3) I turned the red knob at the top right, so that it dropped the water level in the chamber, and then turned the black dial right above the pump UP to pump more water in. I noticed after I did this that the actual "wand" that creates the bubbles was forcing ALL the microbubbles straight up at a higher speed, and no bubbles were floating down and into the output.

So anyway, those were the steps I took and it corrected the problem. I also noticed after these steps that the skimming improved. I hope that helps! :)

PS - I have found Drs. Foster and Smith to be an unbelievably customer-oriented company. They do have a tech support department there as well that would be willing to help you troubleshoot products purchased from them.

Thanks for the replies guys. Problem solved. I posted it in the other thread about the CSS 125, but basically it just needed to break in.

Must be stressed out with the new tank setup hehe. Sure will be glad when it's over. My first reef tank, and my first do-it-yourself attempt at a sump. First ever sump for that matter. Problems with the skimmer put me over the top. Looks like I now only have one problem left to fix. I was using a cheap 10 gallon tank as a fuge, and the guy that drilled it did a crappy job. He didn't even charge me for the ragged hole that he drilled so I could connect the fuge to the main sump. Sure enough it cracked and was leaking. As it won't come out of the stand without draining and moving the tank, I'll be taking it out in pieces. Messy job but it will work. I'll be replacing it with rubbermaid since I can get that under the tank. Hopefully, my last equipment problem will be solved. Am really glad now that I thought to put a ball valve in the line so I could isolate the fuge from the rest of the plumbing.

Back
Top Bottom