Skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crabs

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have a remora that worked beyond expectations until a few days ago. My question is, when I clean the cup should I also clean the whole inside of the unit as well? Could it b my pump needs cleaned in vinegar water solution? I got the MJ 1200 pump with the skimmer.

Check the pump and verify its running. If it is then turn it off or you will get wet doing the next step. Remove the collection cup and look inside the unit, there should be a pipe coming from your pump that has a little white screw, remove the screw and use a small pipe cleaner brush to clean the water jet (that's what the screw is there for). If you don't regularly clean it the nozzle will slowly build up with gunk and reduce the effectiveness of the skimmer.

Thank You. I did exactly what u suggested and it's working normally again. I'm glad I could find the brush that was supplied. Just couldn't find the maintenance directions. I'm sure I filed it along with all the other loose paper I collect. Really, Thanks!

What is it doing? Skimmers have a break in period that usually takes around a week or two. No you do not need to clean the whole inside but only every 3 months or so is sufficient. The pump will not be dirty after a few days.

No, this skimmer has been up and running perfectly. After cleaning the injector as suggested previously. It is working perfectly again. I even had the beginnings of a cyano outbreak. Now that the skimmer is working again, the cyano is disappearing.

Back
Top Bottom