Slight Algae Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeriousDude5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have had my freshwater tank up and running for about two years now, and just recently I have noticed an algae problem begining to arise. There is thick tufts (bush like) on the driftwood as well as green hue's to the rocks (not the gravel.) I'm not sure if this is normal for an etablished tank. I'm at college, so I am unsure how long the light is being left on for and I havn't changed the blub yet. Could that bed the problem? Let me know thanks.

I'm kind of new here myself and will be of little help to you for your problems. However, I've been around this site long enough to know that the other more experienced members will request you post your water parameters in an effort to better understand what might be causing the problem. So if you can take a test of your water (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, phosphates, etc.) and post the results. Good Luck :scrambleup:

also what kind of water do you use (tap, bottled, distilled, RO, RO/DI), how often do you feed, how much and what kind?

There are several links that I don't have handy (though I bet they show up here shortly) on how to beat algae. Basically, good water; limited feedings are the key.

I assume this is a community tank with no live plants?

The most likely culprits are going to be lighting and nutrient build up. Since you don't know how long the lighting is being left on, I would imagine this is the most probable cause. Next opportunity I would recommend putting the lights on a timer and controlling the photoperiod.

As for nutrient buildups, how often do you do PWCs on the tank? and how much food are you feeding how often.

This link will show you the most common types of algae and some tips on how to get rid of it. This link assumes you have a planted tank, which I don't think you do, so if you're able to ID what kind of algae you have post it here and we can help you get it cleaned up.

also what kind of water do you use (tap, bottled, distilled, RO, RO/DI), how often do you feed, how much and what kind?

Tap water, not sure about the feeding I showed my family how much to feed them which is once a day about 15 chichlid gold pellets.

Sorry I am currently unable to check test my water perameters because I am at college. However, the fish are fine.

1 Oscar
1 Bleekeri
2 Tin Foil barbs

(90 gallon)

Is the family doing water changes or just top=off's? While the lights might be a big factor, if your not getting good gravel vacs and water changes your nitrates might be rising pretty high which could be a big contributing factor to the algae.

How long has the family been taking care of the tank? Do you see the algae or are they describing it (and how much)?

Is the family doing water changes or just top=off's? While the lights might be a big factor, if your not getting good gravel vacs and water changes your nitrates might be rising pretty high which could be a big contributing factor to the algae.

How long has the family been taking care of the tank? Do you see the algae or are they describing it (and how much)?

I actualy come home once a week to clean the tank. I vacume the gravel throughly, and change 20 gallons at a time. So they care for it six days a week. Also, I am unsure how long the light is on when home, I've asked my father to turn the light off before he went to bed and woke up the next morning and noticed it still on. But, I am still unsure of how long the light is on.

First, get a timer and set the lights for no more than 8 hours a day. Second, 20 gallons in a 90 gallon tank with big fish is not much of a water change.

Are the tufts black or dark grey?

Take the decorations out and clean them. Dip them in a bleach solution if needed, take a brush to them. Rinse them very well before returning to the tank. Limit the light on a reliable timer and should be good to go.

Back
Top Bottom