Slightly warped tank frame. Can I still use it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaSerenity

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all,

I am relatively new to the hobby and I recently got a used aquarium that I am planning on using for my second tank. Its fairly old (2013) and I was planning to reseal that tank but as I was cleaning it up (very dusty) I noticed that the tank seemed slightly warped. When I pressed on one corner of the tank I could feel it drop even when on a level surface.

Video of the warp

Does anyone know if the tank is still usable or if I should just scrap it? I was thinking of putting some yoga mat under it like I have seen for some rimless tanks but i'm not sure if it will be enough to prevent the glass from cracking.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Have you done a water test and filled the tank outside so you can make sure it doesn't leak?

That is a lot of silicone on there. Did you add that, and was it added over the old silicone?

So it turns out the issue was actually the frame. I knew I would have to reseal the tank anyway (as the seals had a bunch of dark spots where dirt seems to have gotten under the silicone) so after i took the frame off (destroying it in the process) i noticed the warp was no longer there. After the reseal the tank seems to be sitting nice and flat and shows no sign of leaking (which is surprising as its my first time trying a reseal)

Thanks for taking the time to give some advice.

~(' ')~

Hello Aqua...

I have a tank with a frame that doesn't fit the glass real well, but it works just fine. I kind of tested the tank for a while by filling it up half way or so and let it run for a few days. Then, I filled it up and use it.

B

Back
Top Bottom