slime coat issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kirkland795

Aquarium Advice Regular
1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).
My discus fish has faint lines down both sides of his body. If you look at him right you can see his slime coat is disturbed showing multiple irregular lines down both his sides almost like claw marks. They do not go into the flesh at all. He has a little bit of excess slime growth on his body. I noticed he was hiding at feeding time which is very unusual so I suspect he isn't feeling well. Any idea as to how this happened? What can I do.
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.
Ammonia:0 Nitrite: 0 Nitrate: 5 Temp: 82 pH: 7.5
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?
It's been set up for about a year. It is a 60 gallon
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known.
I have a marine land double biowheel that does 400gph and a canister that does 350gph
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes?
I have 5 discus total, 3 zebra danios, 2 apple snails, 1 mystery snail
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time?
I did a 50% water change today. I change 50% every other day. I keep a bare bottom tank.
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them?
I have had 2 of my discus for 9 months and 3 of them including the one I am having issues with for 3 months.
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? none
9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently?\
No recent change. I feed beef heart, blood worms, frozen carnivore mix, and flakes.

Thanx for the suggestion. This may be a possibility but my other 4 discus are symptom free and none of them have holes in their head. It almost looks like he could have scraped against drift wood but it's weird that it's on both sides of his body. I'm going to add stress guard to promote a healthy slime coat and see if that helps. He was given to me for free by someone who didn't want him because his growth was stunted. He hasn't grown much since I've had him but has been healthy till now. Could his growth being stunted by his previous owner cause health issues? I thought he would just stay on the smaller side.

Thanx for the suggestion. This may be a possibility but my other 4 discus are symptom free and none of them have holes in their head. It almost looks like he could have scraped against drift wood but it's weird that it's on both sides of his body. I'm going to add stress guard to promote a healthy slime coat and see if that helps. He was given to me for free by someone who didn't want him because his growth was stunted. He hasn't grown much since I've had him but has been healthy till now. Could his growth being stunted by his previous owner cause health issues? I thought he would just stay on the smaller side.

Do you use carbon in your filter ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

No I've never used carbon with the discus. He does get picked on a bit but each fish has established their territories now so if he returns to his little area the other fish leave him alone. He is eating this morning but still has the lines down his side. Idk maybe he will get better on his own.

Back
Top Bottom