Slow Cycle-New Approach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Green

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, after a few months of no cycle (Tank has been going with fish since Dec. 26th.) I went an purchased some active media from Angels Plus. My hope this will jump start things and get it going. I have had the tank up with 2 Platies and a Molly since Dec. Ammonia has never been above .5 and I have had 0 NO2 since then. I will keep you updated and let you know what happens.

I received the sponge today and squeezed it over my current sponges in the HOB filter. I also added the water from the bag into my filter before starting it up. Wish me luck!!!
:fish2:

how big is your tank again? I bet you will see some activity in a week or so. how much of the active filter did you get? did you stuff it in behind your current stuff or what?

good luck!! it made a huge difference for me. 20 days for a 20 gallon tank (with lots of fish) and of course doing the required water changes for a fish in. set up my tank 26 dec, added the filter 9 Feb, completed cycle 28 feb.

here is hoping you have the same good luck!

@HeatherW: 29 gallon Tank. I am currently running the filter per Angels Plus's instructions and using an air line with the lift tube. I did squeeze the filter over my current HOB media and dumped the water from the bag into my sponges. I recently upgraded to a bigger Aqua Clear filter after my cheap HOB was way too loud and I did not like its set-up. Once I am up and cycling, I plan to cut up the filter and add it to my HOB.

Talk about activity: Tested my water this morning and already seeing some activity. Ammonia was 0.25, but it took the whole 5 minutes to get the color change. Also, my NO2 was at zero, but the blue was a darker color than I have ever seen before. NO3 was about a 5. Seems like some activity is starting to happen finally. I will keep you all updated with how it goes.

That was Fast!!!

Well today I came home from work and tested the tank and got the following:
pH=7.8
Ammonia=<0.25
NO2=0.5ppm
NO3=5ppm
Temp=78F

I am going to do a water change in a few minutes since the NO2 is so high. Talk about fast!! I am now a firm believer in the active media, it really does work. Fish seem to be doing good and can't wait to add a few more tank mates!! :fish2:

glad you are seeing progress! I too am a believer! worked for me and it looks like it is going to work for you too!

keep us updated

Update-Test from today.
Ammonia=0
NO2=0
NO3=5+
Temp=78F

Seems like it is cycled up, but I will contine to test. I will be adding some fish this weekend if things go good.

do you have plants in there? I don't think it is cycled yet because you should have some higher nitrates in there. keep an eye on everything and when you start to see the conversion to nitrates then you know for sure it is all working.
well, I actually re-read what you said and maybe the reason for the low nitrates was because of the water change :facepalm:
so... looks good. check for the next several days and see if ammonia and nitrites stay at 0. then check the nitrates in 3-4 days and I bet they will have jumped up some.

does your tap test nitrates around 5ppm?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom