small air bubbles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

will8

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi all, need a bit of help, i have lots of tiny air bubbles all over my tank, on the live rock, my sand,power heads everywhere. they keep rising up to the surface and floating on the surface. its looks horrible.they come from my skimmer and the filter when i turn it back on. my question is will they harm the fish or live rock or my green mushroom.
thanks

In the past I`ve seen that to be the beginning stages of cyano or nuisance algea. Not saying that is all the time but in some cases. Do you have alot of flow in your tank?

Have you made any changes recently? disconnected/reconnected anything? Checked your connections? Air forced at high pressure is notorious for creating tiny air bubbles. Then they get sucked up and just keep propagating. Is your skimmer a needlewheel?

If you have a sump that has baffles you can put a sponge or filter floss in the last chamber to eliminate your bubble problem. If you have a hang-on back skimmer, which one?

the flow in my tank is roughly 7000l per hour, coming from the skimmer, filter, small pump on the phos reacter and a hydor ph 3. i have alot of horrible brown algea on my glass and sand its starting to grow on the lr. i thought it was diotoms but on the sand it looks like cyrano but brown. does it come in brown form? hope not.
phos is 0.01ppm
nitrates is 10ppm.
have not got a sump, i have a hob skimmer it is a instant oceam skimm 800. it has a bubble catcher on it but tiny air escapes still.
i have made some changes lately, on friday i replaced the rowaphos and put a new carbon pad in the filter,
looking at the tank this moring(i am in the uk) it seems the bubbles has gone from the sand and lr. they are all on the surface and its a mucky brown colour.

Back
Top Bottom