Small betta tank with natual plant filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pawtrekker

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently have a 2.77 gallon "goldfish" tank that I was given and I am trying to figure out what to do with it. My only viable option (besides toss it) is a Betta or shrimp tank. I would really love to take in another Betta and free him from a cup prison. My question is this.
I have heard people talking about using nothing but their plants as a filter. How is this done? Can I do it in such a small tank?
I ask because I want to have as much space in the tank as possible for the Betta. I will, of course be putting a small heater in there but if I could somehow do without the filter that would be great.

Any advice you guys can give me would be much appreciated. Thanks!

You will need some sort of water movement to keep things circulating but any fast growing plants will absorb large amounts of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates. So if you wanted to do it this way just add a large amount of plants that your lighting level will support an let it work.

You could also go for the sponge filter's. It's basically like a sponge, come's in different sizes, and filter's the water for something less back breaking.

I'd do a bunch of stem plants and floaters (if you have a light to support it) and then a small sponge filter. This way you're getting the best of both worlds and personally I like to play it on the safe side;)

Here's some pics of the tank.

image-2126617171.jpg

image-4201027743.jpg

image-2254310961.jpg

As you can see, the tank has no light of it's own so that lamp will probably be the main source of light. I would assume that means I need low light plants. I have a friend who will give me all the Java Fern I want. I could do that, some java moss, maybe some floating plants, and Marimo moss balls. Would these plants work? If you have any plant suggestions please let me know.
The lid is hinged but the hinges come off pretty easily. This is good because there's no holes in the lid for a filter or heater (pretty sorry design if you ask me). If I can find a small sponge filter I'll try to get one. Is there anything I should know about them? I've never used one before.
Thanks for all the suggestions so far guys!

Here's some pics of the tank.

View attachment 182912

View attachment 182913

View attachment 182914

As you can see, the tank has no light of it's own so that lamp will probably be the main source of light. I would assume that means I need low light plants. I have a friend who will give me all the Java Fern I want. I could do that, some java moss, maybe some floating plants, and Marimo moss balls. Would these plants work? If you have any plant suggestions please let me know.
The lid is hinged but the hinges come off pretty easily. This is good because there's no holes in the lid for a filter or heater (pretty sorry design if you ask me). If I can find a small sponge filter I'll try to get one. Is there anything I should know about them? I've never used one before.
Thanks for all the suggestions so far guys!
I had that same exact tank, I hated it too! And yes, low light plants would be the best. The java fern, moss, and marimo would be great although they don't suck up much of the nitrate/nitrite/ammonia. I would also look into duckweed and hornwort. Those would be great for taking in all the "bad" stuff.
The sponge filter is exactly like it says it is: a sponge. You just hook it up to a bubbler with some tubing and you're golden! I know that they sale some one amazon for cheap, I'll get you the address.

Yup, a bubbler and tubing. I know that some sell them very cheap. I hope that this tank turns out better than what you expected!

One more question, what bubbler do you recommend for that small of a tank? I found a 10 gallon one but I didn't know if that would work or not. I've never used a bubbler.

One more question, what bubbler do you recommend for that small of a tank? I found a 10 gallon one but I didn't know if that would work or not. I've never used a bubbler.

That would be fine. I've only used a 10 one and it worked perfectly.

Previous post states it. Also, you don't need to go bigger. Honestely, I used a 10 gallon bubbler for a 55 gallon tank, works fine(with my filter as well). If not, I use 2 10 gallon bubblers. If you find a 5 gallon bubbler, go with that, might just save you a couple of bucks.

Back
Top Bottom