Small Black spots?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kyanna5

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a fantailed goldfish and 2 albino catfish in one tank. The cats are looking healthy but a few days ago the goldfishes top fin started turning black in thin line along the front of the fin. Now it has several of these black spots on it's head and gills but nowhere else. Is this just normal or might there be something I should do to stop this?

We need more info on your aquarium and the fish before anyone can help you.

Black lining along fins is often a sign of fin rot, a disease easily cured by frequent PWC.

How often do you do PWC?

How long have you had the fish?

Is your tank cycled?

What are your water test results?

What is the temp of your water?

What size is the tank?

What Kind of fitration?

What size are the fish?

Sorry for all the questions, but it will help us help you if we have this information :)

Opps forgot to put info

How often do you do PWC?

I do 50% once week

How long have you had the fish?

I've had the catfish a month, the goldfish 2 weeks

Is your tank cycled?

tank was cycled before the fish were placed in it

What are your water test results?

Nitrite 3.0
nitrate 0
ammonia 0
PH lvl 8.4
ppm is way high color it shows isn't on the chart

I've been using treatments but it's not working to lower anything so far...PWC was done this morning and I retreated tank at that time

What is the temp of your water?

I keep it at 70 due to the catfish need warmer water lvl

What size is the tank?

10 gallon

What Kind of fitration?

waterfall style planning to add a bubbler but trying to fix tank lvls first

What size are the fish?

the catfish have grown slightly but are not much larger than they were yet. The goldfish is about an inch long and fat, it eats well that's been no issue so far

Good for you on the large PWC.

Nitrite 3.0

If this is truly the case, your tank is not truly cycled, your results should read 0 nitrites and some nitrates.

What type of catfish do you have? Many types can be albino.

Your fantail goldfish will outgrow that 10 gallon tank very quickly. Depending on what type of albino catfish you have, they will probably outgrow a 10 gal. also.

Has it always had the spots or are they new?

Your goldie could have finrot from the LFS you bought it from. Or it could be any number of problems or none at all.

However, the goldie and probably the catfish will outgrow that tank very quickly.

I know this isn't what you want to hear when asking about one problem, only to discover you have many others.

Answer to post

The pet shop says it's due to using well water instead of city water which what most of the treatments are meant for.

They are cory albino cats..I am planning on getting a 55 gallon tank before they get to much bigger so the 3 will have plenty of room to grow and be happy. The pet shop warned me that'd I'd need a much larger one before I bought them but said they'd be okay for a few months in the 10 gallon tank for now.

I posted a few pictures of the goldie if that will help the spots have gotten much worst since this morning already. It's growing faster than I thought it would. My diital cam isn't sogreat with moving objects but you can kinda see it some. It was just on the fins and very little on the side and head this morning and now it's spread quiet a bit down the side. His little head is almost black beteween the top fin and his head just since 10 am.

No goldie just started with the spots friday morning he was all very pretty golden color when I got him.

Last edited:
Oh?

Should I go ahead and cycle my 2nd tank and move the fish once it's ready and my lvls have evend out some.

Sorry lol I'm quiet new to fish aquariums

Sorry lol I'm quiet new to fish aquariums

We were all new at one time and made same or worse mistakes, so no worries. Plus, that is what this forum is for, to help you make less mistakes or correct them when you do.

The most important thing right now is for you to have 0 nitrites, stop messing with the PH and address the black on the fantail.

I really recommend you do a 25% or more PWC daily until the nitrites are 0 and you get all the ph altering chemicals out of your water. Nitrite is only slightly less poisonous than ammonia for your fish.

This will also help your goldfish if it does have finrot, but I now suspect it is showing symptoms of nitrite poisoning.

The pet shop says it's due to using well water instead of city water which what most of the treatments are meant for.

Are they talking about nitrites? if so, that is untrue.

If its about ph, don't worry the PH. Stop treatments and let the fish acclimate to your ph from your tap water. Goldies like a higher ph anyway.

Also, what is the ph of your tap water compared to your aquarium?

If its the same, do just let your fish acclimate to the ph you have normally.

It is almost impossible to keep ph higher or lower than what comes out of your tap water. Fish will acclimate to whatever yours is, but can get stressed and even die when the ph level rises or lowers too quickly.

Also, albino corys are fine in a cooler temperature, which is better for the health of the fantail. I would advise you too set the heater at maybe 68, no more.

Should I go ahead and cycle my 2nd tank and move the fish once it's ready and my lvls have evend out some.

YES

And best of luck!

Thanks

Thank you for the help I'll get the other tank plugged in before I go to bed and start the daily PWC changes in the morning.

Excellent. Its a lot of work before you get to kick back and enjoy your fish!

Back
Top Bottom