small cichlids for a 55 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mark shirah

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
need advice on small cichlids for a 55. using sand for substrate. have no other decorations yet. half way thru a fishless cycle

Agassizi's cichlid
Cockatoo cichlid
dwarf cichlid
Panda dwarf cichlid
Ram cichlid
Kribensis

....these are the smaller "dwarf"cichlids I have heard of. The only ones I have personal experience with are the Greman Blue Rams. They are a beautiful & entertaining fish however they have a reputation for being delicate and short lived. You can google the others and see if any appeal to you. There are some "bigger" ones that you could consider keeping in a 55 gallon like firemouth cichlids. I love mine and they don't get too big.....I keep mine in a 55 gallon with a ram, blood red parrot, and a severum. You can see a picture of the rams & the firemouth in my gallery.

mark shirah said:
need advice on small cichlids for a 55. using sand for substrate. have no other decorations yet. half way thru a fishless cycle

South American, African, ???

Bolivian rams are great fish and have tons of personality. They are easier to keep than blue rams or apistogramma, and grow a little larger. Any of the cichlids recommended to you would be much better off in a more established tank, so add some other species and then wait a while before adding your cichlids.

Back
Top Bottom