Small DIY CO2 problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxxcellarator

Aquarium Advice Regular
hi, ive made my own CO2 system using 2 2L bottles for my 40gallon tank. im very sattisfied with the setup, however ive just discovered a problem with it. i was looking at the tubing, when i noticed that there was yeast gowing throuhg it. so i looked along the tube and noticed that there was a certain point at which the vapour was forming. it was somewhere half way through the tubing where i could literly see the vapours forming and then traveling all the way to the tank. im concerned about this since there is Yeast getting into my aquarium, so if anyone knows of a way that i can prevent this from happening, ide greatly appreciate the idea. i know about building another bottle in order to prevent the yeast from getting intot he tank, but i dont know if thatll work with the vapour. thanks!

Put in a "safety" bottle. It's a 3rd bottle, that your CO2 dumps into before it gets to the tank. You don't need anything in it, but it will make sure that any condensate stays out of the tank.

yeah, thats what i was thinking about. but the thing is, i was thinking that adding a 3rd bottle would just cause the evaporation from the 2L bottles to fall in it and then it would start evaporating again and continue on through the tubing into the aquarium. if what im saying is false then please let me know. thanks!

Fill the third bottle with water, about halfway or so. Insert the co2 feed tube below the water line, the out tube above the water line. You will be able to count the bubbles and all the gunk will stay in the water.

hmmm wow, thats a pretty good idea. now i get what J.fisher was talking about. thats soooo weicked, that fixes all my problems. thanks alot. thats what imma do :D:D thanks!

Yes, you should have the added bottle for protection so the mix doesn't get added to the tank. And as for adding water, some do it and some don't. The benefit is the water will remove any other gunk from the CO2 as it bubbles up in the 3rd bottle, and makes for a nice bubble counter as well. :)

Back
Top Bottom