Small Fish, Big Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemurLad

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a 55gal off of craigslist a week or two ago thinking I would consolidate my 5 and 10gals into the big tank eventually. It's a typical 55 - 48"x12"x21" which I guess isn't too big, but it's the largest I've ever owned. Most of my fish are small, <3", has anyone noticed that smaller, non-schooling fish become "overwhelmed" in larger tanks?

When I upgraded from a 10 to a 45 my fish loved it. They explored a lot more

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Yes I agree fish love it. Neons, for example, will seldom explore a small tank. In my 55 they were hugely active and that's the best bit with neons as they all swim as a group back and forth, it's awesome having a big tank with schooling fish.

Non-schooling fish love it too. :)

I two think that your fish will love it. In most cases, the bigger the tank the better! I think they will really enjoy the extra living space.
I know this isn't the same case, but I once was given a Betta from a friend who kept him in a little jar, and when he was placed in my 5g he was SO happy. In the little jar the poor little guy just floated around. But, with the extra space his personality came about and he was swimming around like crazy. :)

Back
Top Bottom