Small Heaters for a 6 gallon Fluval EDGE tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tacit Blues

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just bought a Fluval Edge 6 gallon tank to upgrade my shrimp. I know that they are fine at my 66-70 degree F room temperature, but I was thinking that if I wanted to get some nano fish at some point it would be a good idea to get a heater for the tank. I have an Eheim Jager 25 watt heater that was just sitting in my closet, so I thought I could use it, but it's 9.5 inches long and would stick out the top of the tank, not to mention just aesthetically it's HUUUUUUGE in there.

So I was wondering if anyone out there used a heater in their Edge, what brand/size it was, and where they arranged it inside the tank. And I should add that I would really only want one with a thermostat, because my room can get hot in the summer and I don't trust something that is just "higher than room temperature."

I'd recommend the Hydor Theo model. I have one in a 2.5. It's pretty small and has a very nice thermostat.

Thanks, I'll look into it! Do you think you could measure it (or at least eyeball it) for me? I'd hate to order something and wind up with 2 heaters in my closet...

_________
Yelling into the tin can from the far end of the string

The heater body is 5 1/2 inches long and the adjustment part is another half inch, 6 inches total length. If I had more hand I would take a picture with the tape measure behind it.

Here's another question to go along with the fist one: The Jager will fit (barely, barely) if I bury the tip in the substrate. Is there any reason on the technical side that that couldn't work?

Here's another question to go along with the fist one: The Jager will fit (barely, barely) if I bury the tip in the substrate. Is there any reason on the technical side that that couldn't work?

I've got a 300 watt aqueon with the rubber cap buried in the substrate. It's worked fine for about 6 months now.

Since I'm way past the return date on the Jager, I might just try that for a while... for as much money I spend on this hobby my spendthrift Scotch blood still tries sometimes to make me balk at buying duplicate equipment... grrrr. Went to the LFS today (of course they didn't have your Hydor) and the girl tried to sell me on a $55 Cobalt, flat and short and all black so it would blend in real nice, but darn if that isn't getting close to how much I spent on the tank itself!

Since I'm way past the return date on the Jager, I might just try that for a while... for as much money I spend on this hobby my spendthrift Scotch blood still tries sometimes to make me balk at buying duplicate equipment... grrrr. Went to the LFS today (of course they didn't have your Hydor) and the girl tried to sell me on a $55 Cobalt, flat and short and all black so it would blend in real nice, but darn if that isn't getting close to how much I spent on the tank itself!

I know what you mean. I've been considering the Cobalts for my display tanks but can't reason the price.

I've noticed a lot of the cheaper heaters follow the same design. (aquatop, penn plaxx and ebay ones) probably all made by the same company over in china.

I was wanting to buy Jager's due to their great reviews but the size was going to give me issues in my small tanks like you're having.

Cobalt neotherms are totally worth the price. I have a few and I love them!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom