Small HOB fuge, DSB or no?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got the largest HOB fuge I could find. It is 24.5x4.5x12 and will be on my 72g reef tank. The tank only has a 1-2" sand bed. I know I want to grow some macro in the fuge but would a DSB in that small of a fuge help or just tank up valuable space?

Whatcha using for macro algae? I recommend chaeto. I'm thinking 2" might be fine for the fuge. We'll see what others think.

I will be using chaeto and possibly some grassalaria.

The problem is..... I don't think 2" will provide a anerobic area to break down nitrates. I just don't to deal with nitrate issues with this tank. It's the first tank I didn't use a DSB in.

Your Macro will take care of the nitrates. I dont have a deep base to mine. I grow Grape calerpa in mine and nitrates stay around 0. Be careful with calerpa as people say it will go sexual. I think the reason mine has not is because I prune mine for the main(Tangs) and keep Fuge lights on 24/7. Also do you have a skimmer which will take care of DOC.

I've been contemplating the same thing w/ my fuge. My thinking is with no sand in the fuge that's one less place for detritus and nutrients to accumulate. I have about 20lbs of rock so the LR pieces/rubble should provide enough "nooks and crannies" for micro-fauna and keep the macro's in place.
I think the amount of rock you can fit in the fuge should dictate whether or not to use a sand bed for more surface area. Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom