Small in sump skimmer options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Race37

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am setting up a 30 gallon total nano reef and trying to decide on a skimmer that will sit in my sump, I was looking at the large hydor slim skim, any opinions on it or is there a better option, can not go any bigger, this will be even a tight fit.

If you can't go any bigger, you are going to have trouble finding anything else that will fit. Unfortunately I have not heard great things about the slim skim.

The bubble magus NAC3+ is only slightly bigger, and I can tell you from personal experience is a very good skimmer. It keeps my 57 at 0 NO3 and 0.00 PO4 with regular feeding and normal stocking.

My suggestion for people with sumps too small to fit a decent skimmer is simple. Build an algae turf scrubber. It is basically a plastic canvas screen that has water running down it and is lit from both sides. It grows algae and strips your tank of nutrients . Every week you clean the algae off and toss it or dry it in sheets and feed to your fish. I run one on my 180 and I love it. Here is a video of it in action so you get the idea.

I am running a fuge, same concept I think, basically what I'm doing is I'm adding a second tank on the back, same profile as the display tank but half the thickness, it will work just like a hob filter, but much larger. And where I'm putting the tank I can't have a sump below it. The sump will be 6" thick and that is where the size limit is, can't do a wet dry system, just doing carbon media, fuge, and skimmer. I will look into the other skimmer but can't find where to find its dimensions and how deep to run it.

Yep same concept just the algae scrubber is way more efficient . I just thought I would throw it out there since most people don't know that they can run their whole system just with one scrubber. Good luck with your build.

Back
Top Bottom