Small tank beginner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

betta boy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone, new here. My mom has dabbled with fish keeping all her life and I've done bits and pieces while I was younger as well. All I would do is have one fish, small bowl (no filter), and typical have a betta fish. I've had my betta fish (names offishal) for about a year now. I kept him in the small round bowl I mention previously. Yesterday I upgraded him to small tank. It's only a 1.5 gallon tank. It looks very spacey to me though, even with two small live plants , and he seems to love it and be very grateful. It's a cube tank with a filter.

Anyways, I am in love with the idea of being an aquarist, and am looking to give my little buddy some companionship. I realize 1.5 gallons is small, but trust me, the cube tank looks very spacious and he is loving it. I want to give him a buddy or two. What do you guys think about two neon tetras and maybe one or two ghost shrimps.

Thoughts?
Am I out of my mind and already not properly spaced ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You could try a ghost shrimp or two, but please don't add neon tetras to that tank. Or anything else for that matter. 1.5 gallons isn't much, even for a betta (though good for you for upgrading him from a bowl!).

Petco is having a dollar per gallon sale--now would be a great time to pick up a larger tank if you'd like to keep other species. Just make sure to research compatibility and size requirements before committing to any additional fish.

Thank you. I would love to but space is kind of an issue. Plus just bought this tank for 30 bucks ? if I can find the room I might. Think the filter will still work or no shot?

Oh and I've done research on compatible fish and the filter for a 10 gallon tank btw

I would keep it.

Bettas like low flow, so if it seems he's getting blown around a bit by it, there are lots of videos on YouTube that will show you how to baffle it.

Ok, thank you so much!

If you can afford another tank at Petco during the sale I would really go with the 20 Gallon LONG. It will be easier to maintain in the long run than a 10g. It will also open up many possibilities of fish for you. With a 10g you are really limited. Invest in a good liquid test kit too. Amazon.com has them at a decent price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you everyone. Hopefully I'll make it to the store today and I will let you all know !

Back
Top Bottom