smaller setup..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hadvisor

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm looking to start a small planted tank-5 gallon area. Any suggestions on small complete setups? Marineland has some pretty nice looking stuff as far as I can tell. Anything I will need special for plants(equipment that is) Special lighting in such a small tank? Biowheel/no biowheel? I plan on keeping some small fish also it it helps any. If everything goes well I'm gonna change some things in my 46 gallon to go natural. Thanks..
Don

HAAdvisor,

I've really only got 6 months or so of experience with planted tanks, but I researched my @SS off before starting anything. I was just as uneducated as most people who come here and want to do plants. 20 years FW experience, pretty much fish only. Unless they just want a few low-light plants, it's a whole 'nother world from just FW fish only. There's still a bunch of chemistry stuff I've read about (especially concerning substrates) that I totally don't understand.

However, I have been pretty successful so far. Sure hope the pic works.

I'm going to do a plant tank primer in the plant forum. Within the next week or so, can you wait a bit?

Most important factors:
Light
Substrate
Co2
Fertilizer.

I plant to touch on all these in the primer, but have no exp. w/ small tanks. I'll still try to help you out.

Paul

We just started aswell not to long ago in the 6 month range here aswell,
we bought a 33 gallon Hagen kit that came with a fluorescent fixture unfortunately it only came with a 25 watt fixture so the lighting wasn't enough, but there were kits there from hagen that were 10 gallon with 14 watt fluorescent bulb its still not 2 watts per gall, but thats way more lighting then what comes with the 33 gall when 1 1/2 is still alright for plants upgrading the light is not nearly as nessesary as we had to do with our kit.

Then again there are low light plants you can look into,
I'm pretty sure Hagen's 5.5 gallon kits only come with incandescent lighting.

I'm pretty sure there are many other manufactures out there that make what your looking for. Good luck
Chris.

If you're willing to build a small hood for it, you might check out www.ahsupply.com . Look at the 13w PC Brightkits. Not exactly sure of the measurements on a 5 gal, but I'd bet that these would work out fine on one.
Logan J

i have two screw in 6500 k 13 watt pc's on my 5.5 in a custom canopy. diy co2 injected into my whisper mini. schultz aquatic potting soil as substrate. i'll get some pictures up some time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom