Smallish rainbowfish for a 29 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tcjones

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi gang, I am looking to add a school of 5 to 6 rainbowfish to my cycled 29 g tank. I have found that murray river, thread-fin, and dwarf neon rainbowfish do not get too large and work well in a 29 gallon. Are there any others that stay smallish that would work? Thanks! the other tank mates will be 5 albino corys.

tcjones said:
I gang, I am looking to add a school of 5 to 6 rainbowfish to my cycled 29 g tank. I have found that murray river, thread-fin, and dwarf neon rainbowfish do not get too large and work well in a 29 gallon. Are there any others that stay smallish that would work? Thanks! the other tank mates will be 5 albino corys.

Have you looked at gertrudes and blue eyes?

There are several small species of rainbows that would work in that size tank. Here are a few, Psuedomugil,(Blue eyes), Bedotia, Marosatherina, There are also a few Melanotaenia that could work,Pygmaea,Praecox, Papuae. Rainbows need a varied diet containing lots of vegetable matter, and pristine water conditions to show their, best, and be their best.

I have Spotted Bue Eyes in my 20 gal (going to be upgrading soon though) and they are gorgeous fish, particularly the males when they flare: Pseudomugil gertrudae

They are very peaceful and fun to watch, I recommend them.

Threadfins are VERY nice looking too! Or, you could also look into Celebes (Telmatherina ladigesi).

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I am really digging the threadfin, celebes, and spotted blue eye. Does anyone have any idea if they are hard to find and how much they would cost? I am in the south jersey area.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I am really digging the threadfin, celebes, and spotted blue eye. Does anyone have any idea if they are hard to find and how much they would cost? I am in the south jersey area.

I know Severum Mama (above) has Blue Eyes (I got mine from her!) and Threadfins (or did have them): http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f25/sweet-fish-and-invertebrates-11-10-2011-a-178085.html You might want to send her a PM and ask her. I've bought fish from her a few times and I highly recommend her. :)

I agree, severum mama is the best person to get your fish from ;)

On a side note:
I think furcata rainbows and threadfin rainbows would work in your tank nicely. I don't know much about praecox rainbows, but I do know from asking around that they get too big for a 29 Gallon.

I have kind of fell in love with the threadfins and blue eyes

Back
Top Bottom