Smell from tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yahooandgoogle

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello so I have set up a new aquarium it's an aqua one 620. So before I set it up I rinsed the carbon sponges, ceramic noodles, pipes, gravel etc. I filled up the tank and added water water conditioners, quick start. Tank was running for two weeks before I added first fish. I had old filter media in the tank also.

Anyway my question is I have a strong smell coming from where the filter pads are. I don't think it's my water it's only when I open the back cover. I have been doing 25% water changes to keep the ammonia down as the tank is still cycling. My carbon pads are due for a rinse on Friday would that help with the smell? I don't understand why the smell is strong? I have only been feeding the fish small amounts of food during this time and have been doing small gravel vacs.
The water is slightly cloudy not too bad but it's just the smell.

Could I ditch the carbon pads and just use sponges?
Has anyone else had this happen? Is carbon meant to have a strong smell?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Does it smell like vinegar? If it does, it is just a new tank smell, and will go away in a while. It doesn't hurt the fish.

Not really? It's more like smelly water. But it's not the water when I changed it the water didn't smell. The smell comes from the back were the carbon pads are

Not really? It's more like smelly water. But it's not the water when I changed it the water didn't smell. The smell comes from the back were the carbon pads are

Then you might want to dump the carbon. It could be the uncycled water smell, which I currently have in one of my aquariums, but it will go away.

Thank you. I think I will.
I did give them a rinse today when I did a water change. Also I have noticed like what looks like dust floating around the tank?

They get sinking pellets only about 4 each I have cut back their food a bit since they have moved to the new tank.
Any uneaten food (which is normally never any lol) is always taken out.

They also get blood worms but I haven't given them any in the new tank yet.

OK, your feeding habits are good. Alternatively, the dust might be the accumulated fish poo stuck in your filter, that was dislodged when you cleaned your aquarium. It should be fine, but you can suck it up if you want.

Thank you for all your help. I really appreciate it

Back
Top Bottom