Smoking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imtcurveball

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is an odd question, but is it ok for my fish if I smoke in the house? Will the air pump contaminate the water? My roommate likes to smoke hookah in the house. Not sure if I should ask him to close the office door when he does. Thanks for any help

Does your aquarium have a cover? I have a tank in my kitchen, and I've heard that some cooking fumes may dissolve freely into uncovered tanks. Not sure if the same goes for smoking...but I'd close the door just to be safe. :p

Even with the hood closed you are going to have toxins dissolving in the water- especially if you are running an air pump. I'd take the same precautions as when any other chemicals are being used around the tank.

The air pump will pump air from the room obviously. I would turn off the air pump while smoking.

I have never thought about it. I have several smokers in the house. Well at the very least I don't I've ever had an issue. That said my tanks have always had a hood.

You could put a sponge or filter under the air pump. It would also help cut down on vibration.

Smoke an electronic cig indoors. Problem solved. I went to ecigs and don't worry about polluting my tanks, my hubby, my cat and dogs, and no standing outside in the rain or snow :)

As stated, if you can smell it so can your airpump and eventually your fish. One way to help keep the smoke from getting into the water would be to surround your airpump with a carbon mat or what we used to do was put the airpump in a box on top of a bed of carbon. This way your airpump was getting filtered air to pump into the tank.
Hope this helps.

BTW: I had a customer years ago who suffered repeated total losses until we figured out that the maid was washing the floor in front of the tank with water and bleach. The airpump was picking up that and putting it into the water. Once he used the carbon box, the fish miraculously stopped dying the day after the maid came. ;)

This is an odd question, but is it ok for my fish if I smoke in the house? Will the air pump contaminate the water? My roommate likes to smoke hookah in the house. Not sure if I should ask him to close the office door when he does. Thanks for any help

It's not a problem cover or no cover

Before thinking about your fish health, consider cigarette is nocive, toxic, and cancerigen for you.

Secondary smoke is toxic and cancerigen for other people in the room, imagine those poor little fish :(

Back
Top Bottom