Snail Apocalypse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dane.sorochuk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
It started with a new plant. Unbeknown to me, contained within the green foliage, was an army of snails waiting to emerge. Now the once peaceful aqua scape is a sea of Gastropods roiling within the substrate.

Can the snail apocalypse be contained? Or is the tank forever owned by its new snail residents?

Pictures below.

Attachments

• 2D366B76-4E81-4AE4-B045-56FC6BFDBFA9.jpg
    2D366B76-4E81-4AE4-B045-56FC6BFDBFA9.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 6BA1C859-0B91-4AA6-B4D3-4A6283CBFCB0.jpg
    6BA1C859-0B91-4AA6-B4D3-4A6283CBFCB0.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 29
You could try getting assassin snails, dwarf gouramis, bettas, or loaches if you want a more natural approach and I know there are some snail killing chemicals as well. You could also try placing a lettuce leaf in the tank and waiting for the snails to go to it, then you could take the leaf out.

Also, if you get more new plants, soak them in 1 part bleach and 19 parts normal water for 5 minutes and then rinse the for 5 minutes with normal water.

Sorry the picture isn’t all that clear on my phone to see what kind of snails they are. But I’ve gone through the same scenario, with bladder snails hitchhiking in on one of my plants.

Instead of getting carried away trying to eliminate them I just let nature run it’s course. My tank was relatively new so they had lots of things to eat and flourish with. As time went on they basically became extinct in the tank and now I only find them living in the canister filter.

If we’re talking about a well seasoned tank that just has parameters these snails flourish in, like mentioned above I’d be looking at assassin snails to try and reduce their population

Back
Top Bottom