Snail crawling out + other questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kishore

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, there is this one snail that just keeps coming out of the tank. The water parameters are good. There was a PWC two days ago. They are fed with carrots, cucumber or hikari algae wafers. I didn't really mind about it for the first time. But this morning was the third time this happened. I don't really understand the reason they have to leave the tank.

And I had a filter die off last week. A friend donated me a filter that is rated 1500 litres per hour. My tank is about 200 litres. How will a filter that can cycle my tank about 7 times in a hour affect the aquarium? The filter that died off is still in there. I thought this might be good since there is all this BB in the sponges. I intend to leave to like that. Is this okay?

How safe are blue gouramis with pearl gouramis if provided enough cover?

What kind of snail? Some lay eggs above water. I keep snails and also have a full hood to keep them from wandering.

What kind of snail? Some lay eggs above water. I keep snails and also have a full hood to keep them from wandering.

It is a golden apple snail as you can see in my Avatar. They don't just come above the water but totally out of the tank. They crawl on the aquarium stand after coming out. I find them in the morning and put them back to the place where they belong.
And I don't know the sex of my snails but I can almost say with confidence that they are the same.

The only way I have been able to keep my snails in the tank was to keep a top on it. Full hood. Even gaps around tubes etc covered.

Last edited:
Idk, I also have a smaller tank for my sister's betta. So many algae so I decided to put one there. It came out of the tank and I found it on the table this morning, don't know what its doing

Okay Tmaier. Actually they have been without a hood for so long. So I figured they might have been ok with it.

Idk, I also have a smaller tank for my sister's betta. So many algae so I decided to put one there. It came out of the tank and I found it on the table this morning, don't know what its doing

Did you put it back? Don't assume they are dead. They'll retract into the shell to preserve moisture. They stay alive and will moving around when you put them back in the tank.

And I had a filter die off last week. A friend donated me a filter that is rated 1500 litres per hour. My tank is about 200 litres. How will a filter that can cycle my tank about 7 times in a hour affect the aquarium? The filter that died off is still in there. I thought this might be good since there is all this BB in the sponges. I intend to leave to like that. Is this okay?

How safe are blue gouramis with pearl gouramis if provided enough cover?

What do you all think about this?

It was long ago. If I recall correctly some lived and others didn’t. That’s why I always have a hood now and the last 5 Years.

It was long ago. If I recall correctly some lived and others didn’t. That’s why I always have a hood now and the last 5 Years.
I don't have a hood. Anyways, the snail hasn't come out of the tank for the past two days, I'm happy.;) Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Back
Top Bottom