Snail ID...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefrunner69

Aquarium Advice Addict
First off, I know it is a snail.... :roll: , I'm wondering what kind of snail, since Guy said there may have been some Stomatella on the LR, maybe.... I wasn't able to get a decent shot of it's shell, but I'll include the best one... The snail was approx. 1 cm in length.

snail1.jpg

snail2.jpg

snail3.jpg

snail4.jpg

snail5.jpg

Hmmm... It has a lot of features of three types of snails that I'm aware of; Stomatella, Limpets, and Abalone.

Without a good pic of the shell it's difficult. When I get home I'll try magnifying the pic.

How large is this critter?

I think I've narrowed it down to a Stomatella varians.

Next time you see it disturb it somehow. If it crawls away at turbo speed then I'm right. If it just changes direction and keeps plodding along then I don't know what it is (yet).

Well, he was out again (actually I think this is a different one...) as soon as the camera flashed, he started to speed up, although it didn't take but a couple of seconds for it to slow down again.... Including a couple more pics, still none of the shell, he was too darn close to the side, couldn't get the angle.... This snail is approx 3/4 cm in length.

Back
Top Bottom