Snail Infestation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sproutyrouty

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently decided to put live plants in my 27l tank, and of course a pest snail hitched a ride and now I have an infestation in my tank.

I heard assassin snails eat them however I'm not sure it could keep up with them.

Does anyone have any solutions to these?
My fish won't eat them i have cardinals and male guppies.

Thanks in advance
:thanks:

What kind of snail is it? There are several types of pest snails. Unfortunately there aren't any ways to get rid of them once they hit that are easy. You can get assassins but then you have to keep up with them once they begin to breed, you can get a fish that eats snails but many are not community fish or they need groups and room, or you can luck them out every time you see them. I have 2 types of pest snails in one of my tanks, I put the MTS in because they are beneficial but I had mini ramshorns hitchhike in on a delicate plant the I was too nervous to dip. From my experience, MTS don't die. The ramshorns though I crush or pick out and put into a peroxide bath that kills them.

Your best bet to not deal with snails is to dip your plants and clean them before placing them into your tank.

Good luck.

To be honest I haven't got a clue they aren't the cone shaped ones they just look like a small shell shape.

My tank is only small so can't get much more in my tank otherwise it will be overloaded.

At the moment I'm picking them out as I see them, lesson definitely learnt with plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You can blanch or micro a piece of lettuce and put it in the tank at night and the next morning it will be covered in snails . Just take it out and dispose of . Repeat till snails are gone .

You can blanch or micro a piece of lettuce and put it in the tank at night and the next morning it will be covered in snails . Just take it out and dispose of . Repeat till snails are gone .
This.
Also pay attention to how much your feeding. If there's snails everywhere, you're over feeding your fish.

Back
Top Bottom