Snail question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearchumjs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Don't have a lid on my aquarium yet, but I was wondering if I keep the water line low, like an inch from the top, would it be ok to get a snail instead of waiting for my top? Also, I want a snail that isn't going to have babies all over the place and one that loves to eat algae, algae wafers and diatoms. Id like it not to eat my plants too. Any suggestions? I'm having a diatom outbreak at the moment so I thought it'd be a good time to get a snail and name him Gary. Or would a shrimp be better?

I have a 5 gal fluval chi with a betta and some live plants (lemon Bacopa and Anubias) and driftwood.

nerites are great snails that eat various kinds of algae but they will come out the tank if there isnt a top, mine are so adventurous >.> you wont have an outbreak in snail babies because they need saltwater to hatch but they will lay eggs on any surface so be aware of that too.

Mumma.of.two said:
Hey bear.
Is the tank still cycling?
If so I'd hold off on adding any inverts. They can be sensitive ammonia and nitrite.

I think it might be done! Yesterday the nitrites were .25 and I didn't do a water change. I tested tonight and they are 0! 0 ammonia too. Plus I've got diatoms! And my plants have decided its a good time to really take off and grow. I'll give it a few days to make sure. I think I'll make Monday's my weekly pwc day now too. I'd kind of like a zebra nerite snail. Will it eat my lemon Bacopa or my Anubias?

While I've got you here- will a moss ball help dissolve nitrates? They had some at the store today. And micro sword. Just don't know where I'd plant that. Also- do moss balls have to be able to roll around? I have such a big piece of driftwood it won't be able to roll around.

Bearchumjs said:
I think it might be done! Yesterday the nitrites were .25 and I didn't do a water change. I tested tonight and they are 0! 0 ammonia too. Plus I've got diatoms! And my plants have decided its a good time to really take off and grow. I'll give it a few days to make sure. I think I'll make Monday's my weekly pwc day now too. I'd kind of like a zebra nerite snail. Will it eat my lemon Bacopa or my Anubias?

While I've got you here- will a moss ball help dissolve nitrates? They had some at the store today. And micro sword. Just don't know where I'd plant that. Also- do moss balls have to be able to roll around? I have such a big piece of driftwood it won't be able to roll around.

That's great! Give it a few days and if it stays at 0 your cycled!
I'm pretty sure nerites don't eat plants. A Marino ball? It's actually a type of algae. It will help a bit. If its not rolling that's fine. Just move it every so often.

Bearchumjs said:
I'm getting some trumpet snails and some willow miss in the mail in a tomorrow or Thursday. So excited!

Willow moss... Not miss. Plus I found tho video of a really beautiful aquascape, which really has noting to do with snail questions at all.

So to get back on subject, I'll let you know how the snails do. Best way to acclimate? ...I'm hoping the same way as fish because I don't have anything to use for drip acclimation.

Got my MTS in the mail today! They survived the cold mail truck, hooray! They are currently acclimating. :)

(why can't I post pictures anymore? It keeps saying it exceeds my limit.)

you have to delete some of the pics you posted off of this site. there's a certain limit of pics you can have here and the only way to add more is to become a sponsor or delete old pics

JokerWx13 said:
you have to delete some of the pics you posted off of this site. there's a certain limit of pics you can have here and the only way to add more is to become a sponsor or delete old pics

I see. Thank you!

JokerWx13 said:

Do you know how to do that? I can't figure it out.

well, i've never posted pictures before...so i can only assume o-o try going back to the posts where you put pics up?

I bought a zebra nerite snail today. I'm going to keep the water line down about 3/4's of an inch and hope he doesn't climb out before I get a cover.

So, Ziggy isn't getting rid of the diatoms as fast as I want. So I was wondering, what can you tell me about ramshorn snails? I hear they really like diatoms. I also read betta's will eat the baby ones, in case they breed, which they will since they are hermaphroditic.

Should I get one or two or get another nerite?

otos clean diatoms really quickly and really well. but they're very frail so you gotta watch out for them and you need to feed them boiled zuchini slices cuz diatoms don't last forever. also, diatoms usually go away after a month so it'll clear up soon

Be careful with those zebra nerites! They are great little snails, but they love to explore!!! I have 5 in my 39 gallon and they tend to spend the daytime sitting up above my outtake, just above the water level

Freakgecko91 said:
Be careful with those zebra nerites! They are great little snails, but they love to explore!!! I have 5 in my 39 gallon and they tend to spend the daytime sitting up above my outtake, just above the water level

So far he's been good and just been all over the plants and driftwood and gravel. :)

Back
Top Bottom