Snail vs Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snail or shrimp

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IhaveAfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 10 gallon tank moderately planted with 3 black neons (I know they like groups of 5 or more but they seem to be doing fine) and 2 platys. I would like to add a scavenger or two. I've been looking at cherry shrimp and mystery snails but I cant decide. Which one is better?

I have a 10 gallon tank moderately planted with 3 black neons (I know they like groups of 5 or more but they seem to be doing fine) and 2 platys. I would like to add a scavenger or two. I've been looking at cherry shrimp and mystery snails but I cant decide. Which one is better?

I'd be a bit concerned about keeping shrimp with those fish, except for Amano shrimp, they'd be okay

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't think the fish you have will eat the shrimp, but you never know. Why not both? A mystery snail AND shrimp? I have nerite snails and ghost shrimp and one Amano. No problems at all. The ghost and Amano shrimp are bigger than cherry shrimp, so they'd probably be a better bet if you have any doubts at all. I have a Peacock Gudgeon, balloon mollies, a male betta and a Bolivian ram in the same tank with the shrimp and snails. But in the past I HAVE seen a female betta eat cherry shrimp.

Platies and black neons don't normally bother shrimp, especially if the shrimp have places to hide when molting. Mystery snails can and will breed in freshwater though (and store sperm from previous matings for quite a while), so I try to avoid them. If you go the snail route, I recommend sticking with Nerite snails so you don't run the risk of a snail population boom.

Back
Top Bottom