Snails and Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ben K

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay, well I had this one tank and I ran into a problem. My two Mystery snails, the only snail in the tank luckily, decided that they would turn into omnivores.

One day I looked into my tank to find my dwarf gurami looking very ill. This I found very strange, as the previous day he was fine. And now it looked as if he had bones protruding form his skin.

I watched the tank closely that day and spotted one of the snails attach itself to a fish while it was swimming about.

Needless to say I wasn't pleased and the snails were sent to the LFS.

Any reason why this happen or was there another reason that the gurami fell ill in such a manner within a day?

Mystery Snails will eat just about anything. They eat shrimp pellets. They will take advantage of an easy meal such as a sick or dying fish. I had no idea they could hop onto a swimming fish though. It's rare and probably stems from the Gourami being sick. Such quick sickness sounds like something more along the lines of food poisoning rather than your everyday ailments. It may have been something in the food or water that day that was added. Did the Gourami make it?

I am sure your fish was on the way out before the snail started eating it. A snail is not going to catch a healthy fish.

rich311k said:
I am sure your fish was on the way out before the snail started eating it. A snail is not going to catch a healthy fish.

Haha, that'd be one crazy snail!

Or one slow fish

Back
Top Bottom