Snails came on new plants...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pwrflpills

Aquarium Advice Activist
Snails came on my new plants, but I got them all off before I put the plants in my tank. Anyway, they've been sitting in the bag for a couple days now and I'm toying with putting them in one of my tanks.

Is this crazy? Is it like the dumbest idea you've ever heard?

I figure there's probably a few eggs I missed so I may get snails anyway, but I'm curious to know if anyone has an argument for the benefits of keeping these little guys in the tank.

They're the little pointed shell type and the biggest one is maybe 5mm long.

Sounds like malaysian trumpet snails...does the shell have spirals all the way to the pointy end, getting narrower along the way? If so, they are great for the tank as they will burrow into the substrate and give it the once over, all the while scarfing up eaten food.

:roll: I also recieved a couple of free snails in my last plant shipement. They look like their shells a pointed on one end, so I'm hoping that they are MTS. Unfortunately, I also recieved some "Free" duckweed that is proving to be a royal pain. Today is a third day in a row now that it has not reapeared, so maybe I'm gaining. BTW, rinsed all plants and cleaned out as much of the rock wool as possible before planting. The snails are so small that its hard to make an ID, so i"m letting them grow. If they become a problem, I'll call in my clown loaches from my other tank LOL.

Back
Top Bottom