snails?! how?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willowthepoet

Aquarium Advice Activist
today i had a particularly invigorating phone call (ha) during which i was watching my tank, when i noticed a brownish dot on the side. i thought it was a bug on the outside, or a spot of the various things my dogs may leave wherever their noses fall, so i go to wipe it off.

it's on the inside. upon closer inspection, i notice it moving. it is one of those tiny pest snails.

normally this would not be cause for too much alarm, but i haven't put ANYTHING in this tank in at least a year, and the tank has never had live plants, ever.

i have no idea where they came from. any clues?

Sometimes BBS eggs have extra little surprises like that but I doubt it just a theory do you feed BBS? Snails are in everyone of my tanks and I love them they are so cool! These are fancy Mystery Snails Though!

nope, i only feed flake and bloodworms.

i like them too, so i'm not worried. just terribly confused.

that is pretty crazy, happened to me one time, crushed the little booger trying to get him out, never has happened agian, althought I wouldn't mind it as much now

Snails sometimes take a long time to show themselves. I intentionally added a batch of newborn ramshorns to a tank 3 months ago and never saw them, so I assumed they didn't make it. Then all of a sudden this week, there are a bunch of adult snails all over the place. They are sneaky guys.

It is odd to have them if you've never had plants though.

i never had any "new" plants in my 55 gallon, but then i found pond snail shells, and an MTS shell i suppose my kuhlis got to. snails are weird like that

I had snails hide out in the cannister filter for my 75 gal for 7 months. When I moved suddenly they "appeared" when the tank was set up in the new house.

Back
Top Bottom