snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
asberry2 said:
What would be a really cool kind of snail I could add to my 30 gallon?

IMO, the nicest snails are called nerite snails. They come in different shell styles. Here's a pic of one of my old nerite snails. There are also mystery snails and MTS(malasian trumpet snails) all of which are beneficial. The MTS might take over you tank if you overfeed. If you don overfeed, then don't worry.:)

View attachment 75448

View attachment 75449

+1 Nerites are awesome, and can't reproduce in freshwater. I have 4...and 3 mystery snails, which are awesome too. Assassin snails are pretty when you see them. Malaysian Trumpet Snails are great for keeping the substrate turned over. Either stock them with Assassins, or really make sure you don't overfeed to keep numbers down.

asberry2 said:
Alright awesome thank you...would it be alright to order some off of the internet you think? If so, what site?

I know some members were just recently selling MTS on here. Check with TheFishBoss97 I'm pretty sure he has MTS for $0.10 each. Umm for ordering snails off the internet, my absolute favourite site is AZgardens.com or arizonagardens.com (sorry forgot which one) oh, and one more type of snail is a horned nerite. It's the same thing as a regular nerite, but they're smaller and their shell has some pointed tips on it. Also, if you end up going with MTS, I would suggest getting some assassin snails later down the road if they take over your tank.(don't overfeed and you'll be ok) but assassin snails cannot kill nerites. good luck! :)

Nerite and Ramshorn seem really cool. They both can have pretty cool shell designs.

Assassins actually can kill nerites, but they mostly don't. There have been a few folks who have seen their Assassins group up on one of their nerites (and even mystery snails). But 99% of the time, not an issue.

I like the Ramshorn shell designs. The only problem with them is they are one of the only snails that WILL eat live plants, so if you get too many being born, any plants you have will usually suffer. Other than that, they're pretty little guys.

You can look on here and on a couple other forums (plantedtank.net, Aquatic Plant Central) and see if anyone has any they're willing to give away. That's how I'm getting mine--just had to pay for shipping.

Back
Top Bottom