Snails??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ian086

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, i was thinking of adding a few snails into my 55g community tank. I was looking at the Mystery Snail. I don't have any real plants, just a few fake ones and a bit of decor. My substrate is sand. I just want peoples opinions good or bad and what are the general rules on care/feeding/stock levels. Do they just hide away the whole time. I just thought they might make a nice addition to the tank but i don't want them if they take a lot of care or can potentially cause problems..I don't have any issues with water quality or algae...All opinions/advice welcome....Thanks..Ian

I am no expert and don't currently have any snails myself. But I am thinking of getting one. I posted a thread a while ago. My condition was I didn't want them to completely take over the tank. I was told that if you don't want an infestation of snails to go with Nerite snails because they can't reproduce in freshwater. Hope that little tidbit helps!

Hi, i was thinking of adding a few snails into my 55g community tank. I was looking at the Mystery Snail. I don't have any real plants, just a few fake ones and a bit of decor. My substrate is sand. I just want peoples opinions good or bad and what are the general rules on care/feeding/stock levels. Do they just hide away the whole time. I just thought they might make a nice addition to the tank but i don't want them if they take a lot of care or can potentially cause problems..I don't have any issues with water quality or algae...All opinions/advice welcome....Thanks..Ian

I keep two mystery,s in my 55 both female so I don't have problems with them breeding. They don't hide away so I see them everyday. They eat anything lol algae wafers, shrimp pellets, flake, bloodworm & fresh veg ( which I blanch for them) I love having them, I also have tylos & nerites. They make great addition,s :)

I had 3 but recently lost one I have a male and female pair, the female lays eggs on the light/hood, you can remove them as soon as you see them if you don't want babies. They are lovely to watch, they don't hide all day at all IMO. However they are grazers so all they do all day is eat and poop. The majority of what I clean out of my gravel is snail poo. They need food high in calcium to keep there shells strong. I've read they do best in hard water, I have soft water and there shells are a little rough I try giving them veggies high in calcium to counteract that. Starting with good stock helps. I got 2 from Walmart (whim of a 5 year old) and they were in rough shape to begin with. The other, from petsmart was in much better condition and thriving alot better. Don't keep them with angels, I didn't know and put them in my 55 with angels and the angels picked away at there tentacles it took a couple weeks for them to grow back and them to extend them again in a separate tank. Oh and I have yellow mystery snails.

I have 5 total, one in each of my tanks. I prefer not to have more than one in a tank because I don't want to chance a male & female & having to deal with eggs. My eldest & largest is a black one that is golf ball sized, the other 4 are younger & smaller, 2 blue, 1 cream, 1 gold. I LOVE them, they rest but are the move a lot & move quite quickly, they're fun to watch IMO. I add liquid calcium to each tank once or twice a week; feed veggies & alga wafers a few times a week.

Thanks guys for all your replies. I will of course do a bit more research but i am definitely more in favour of getting one...A nice blue one sounds good. Thanks for all the replies...Ian (y)(y)

I had one until I caught him chewing holes in my healthy green plants. Even after feeding him he would cruise over to my plants and go to town.

Back
Top Bottom